Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Icy Cold Saline Shown To Prevent Paralysis Among Spinal Cord Injuries

Running Icy Cold Saline Shown To Prevent Paralysis Among Spinal Cord Injuries

Running Icy Cold Saline Shown To Prevent Paralysis Among Spinal Cord Injuries
    Lowering Body's Temperature Protects Against Damage

According to the Spinal Cord Injury Information Network, there are about 11,000 new cases of spinal cord injuries each year in the United States. As of June 2006, there were about 253,000 people living with a spinal cord injury.

When a spinal cord injury occurs, there is the primary insult -- the impact -- which neither doctors nor patients can do anything about. But there are also secondary injuries -- the damage that happens in the minutes, hours, days and weeks after the primary injury.

continue....

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/heal...den&psp=health

Sad but this is another potential treatment for acute injuries that will never be in wide use. Drug companies make nothing out of it therefore it will never be accepted or practised by the majority of the medical profession.

cool & simple

This is a disturbing find. After all this time, all it takes is a cold squirt of saline to deter a SCI in the initial stages. WTF. In the report of the football player it read he had suffered a "severe spinal injury" in the Cervical region. Severe sounds like the worst it can get, and this guy is walking like normal from a shot of saline? Gee, better take it to trials to see if its safe. F'n retarded.
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

they were saying the saline did nothing to help kevin everrett. the more i read the less I believe they know about what really works and what doesn't. this whole situation appears to be a mess, I dont see how anything will ever get done..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    they were saying the saline did nothing to help kevin everrett. the more i read the less I believe they know about what really works and what doesn't. this whole situation appears to be a mess, I dont see how anything will ever get done..
    this is to true .

Well what was it cause he has lots of $$ to finagle his way out of it with a current treatment that none of us has access to just celebrities if they get presented with this situation?
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    This post is the most truth I have seen come out of this whole debacle.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

This same thing has been used as a "treatment" for brain injury, supposedly to prevent secondary damage (same theory going on w/ SCI treatments). In trials, it was supposedly proven to have little to no effect on the outcome of the patient, but some doctors refuse to accept that. That's why we're seeing high profile survivors getting these treatments (look up the story of Emilio Navaira). I assume these docs just want more funding...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason C
    This same thing has been used as a "treatment" for brain injury, supposedly to prevent secondary damage (same theory going on w/ SCI treatments). In trials, it was supposedly proven to have little to no effect on the outcome of the patient, but some doctors refuse to accept that. That's why we're seeing high profile survivors getting these treatments (look up the story of Emilio Navaira). I assume these docs just want more funding...

thats the whole point of my original statement. we dont really know the motivation of any of the people we depend on to find the cure. they may not truly have any hostile or self-ish reasons for there work but you gotta believe its hard to accept years of work being dismissed. you combine ego, career, and money and there's bound to be discent among peers.

A while ago I read an essay about a study done that showed clinical trial results can in certain ways be skewed and that the process is alot more subjective and less scientific than we think.

I'd bet money that there has been an effective treatment somewhere at sometime for some ailment that has failed the clinical trial. think about sci and the amount of rehab it would take to show improvement after many years in a wheelchair not to mention the differences between patients and work ethics, I could definitely see that causing a therapy to fail a trial.

theres been things that doctors have been using for years and then they turn around and tell you it has no effect. I've had doctors tell me about things like that.

in quantum physics they have shown that consciousness can effect outcome which may add to the questionable results we get. ever been in a situation where your sure of something and then someone of a different or opposite perspective comes in and dismisses all your certainties. this seems to happen in sci research... maybe its about funding or maybe its perspective or even attitude...