Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Things you wish they had told you about in rehab.

Things you wish they had told you about in rehab.

I keep coming across people who have suffered injuries that could have been avoided, or at least more promptly treated, with the proper education in rehab. I still feel like I got great care and education in rehab, but there are a few important things that slipped through the cracks. Here are some for me:

1. Unused bones can get brittle, really fast. I snapped my femur in two just 4 1/2 months after my injury, just doing simple stretches they taught me in rehab. I've encountered many people with similar experiences.

2. Thigh-high compression hose can cause blood clots if you wear them too long. Funny, I thought they were supposed to prevent clots. Anyway, I found this out the hard way, developing a clot that ran from below the knee up into my abdomen.

3. The syrinx. I had never even heard about this condition until I started reading CC. I haven't developed one (yet) but now I know what to look out for.

These are just a few I can think of offhand, but there are more. Please share some of your own thoughts on this, so perhaps new SCIs can hit this and get a good rundown of things they should be concerned about from day one.

Never stop stretching.

Work the opposing muscles in your shoulders to avoid strain later on.

Don't drag during transfers, always clear.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Overuse. I wish I had known and been a little more careful.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Thought of another one: Diets low in protein can increase your chances of getting a pressure wound.

Dont assume every doctor knows anything about treating an SCI patient just because they are a doctor.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I would definitely overemphasize the need for good pressure reliefs and a good diet. Too much of my time has been wasted to pressure sores. I would also try to make sure that people know it's not a bad thing to ask for help. You're better off asking then suffering.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

CareCure

Eating too much can make you fat and it's hard as hell to loose it afterwards.
    Go Georgia Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by mossberg531
    Eating too much can make you fat and it's hard as hell to loose it afterwards.
    Oh yeah, and there's that! And spasms can be your friend.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I wish they would have emphasized strength/cardio training and a
    high protein diet.