Thread: Forbidden Medicine

Forbidden Medicine

Editorial
    Source: Metrowest Daily News

Massachusetts -- What if there were a natural medicine that could help reduce pain, relieve nausea, increase appetite and decrease stress, all with minimal side effects?
    What if it could help cancer patients deal with the impacts of chemotherapy, help glaucoma patients retain their sight by relieving pressure around the eyes, help AIDS sufferers maintain their strength by stimulating their appetites, and ease the effects of multiple sclerosis?

What if research of the drug, say by the prestigious Scripps Research Institute, demonstrated it slowed the progression of Alzheimer's Disease?

Not only does that medicine exist, it is abundant and affordable, even for those who lack health insurance.

So why don't more people take it (or at least admit publicly to doing so)? Because the federal government won't let them.

Marijuana has been outlawed since the 1930s when the Federal Bureau of Narcotics designated it a narcotic, putting it on par with cocaine, heroin and morphine.

Eleven states - including Rhode Island, Maine, Vermont and most notably California - have legalized the use of marijuana as a treatment for disease. But the federal government refuses to acknowledge the state laws, instead specifically targeting law-abiding citizens providing the medicine for patients. Especially in California, the Drug Enforcement Agency is shutting down ``grow houses'' and medicinal marijuana dispensaries, and charging their operators with federal felonies.

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Newton, is trying to stop that injustice. He says the decision whether to allow the use of marijuana should be up to the states, not a federal mandate. Frank plans to file legislation repealing the federal law prohibiting the possession of small amounts of marijuana.

``I don't think smoking marijuana should be a federal case. There's no federal law against mugging,'' Frank said. ``It does not appear to me to be a law that society is serious about. It's one area where the public is ahead of the elected officials.''
    more:http://cannabisnews.com/news/23/thread23808.shtml

Pharmaceutical companies will never allow congress to allow the legalization of marijuana.

Blog Entries
    Stupidity takes precedence over common sense and data where the feds are concerned. All the rhetoric and misinformation of nearly a hundred years, will not soon, if EVER be refuted, such that it will become legal, in my opinion.

I've been watching this horse race since the 70s, it has only gotten harder to work around it. Too bad there is no simple solution. States rights were tossed out a long time ago, and it's only getting worse.

It's just flat wrong when politicians limit a doctor's right to prescribe something that has proven medicinal value.

FWIW, I have never used MJ in any form, not even once. No one can accuse me of being some looney who wants legal access to illicit drugs. (No, I'm not making any statements about anyone else, either!) It's just that I've seen plenty of people who have a real need for this and it's legally denied to them.