Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safest Disposal method for unused drugs

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m

p.s. can someone tell me how to quote two different lines from two different posts?
    I use a my wordprocessor program, quote on, paste it into word, quote the next, paste it in, finish my reply, then cut and paste back here. It helps with the possibility of losing the response before I am done typine too.

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    FYI Safeway pharmacy recycles unused meds.
    By recycle, do you mean they actually reissue them or simply disposes them for you? I would worry about the quality control, they have no way of knowing how they were stored, or if the date on the bottle is accurate.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

They don't resell the drugs they dispose them but safely.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    They don't resell the drugs they dispose them but safely.
    I'm sure glad you qualified that. I thought it was pretty odd that something like recycling drugs for later use would be allowed.

I hate to tell you but drugs ARE being recycled. Some of the bigger chain pharmacies do it. They ARE being reissued. It was a story on the news just a few days ago.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

There is a lot of controversy. Most people still do recommend flushing them but that will likely change. The entire situation has caught many people off guard, our water systems were not designed for this and I dont know if anyone has a great solution. Even if you crush up with litter or coffee it is still going to be put back in the environment one way or the other.

Also depending where you are, many pharmacies will not accept narcotics. In my state pharmacists cannot dispose of these until it is witnessed by a rep from the board of pharmacists. (A very sore spot since nurses are allowed to waste narcotics with another nurse as a witness.)

There were supposed to be some new guidelines about a month ago but I havent read them.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13
    I hate to tell you but drugs ARE being recycled. Some of the bigger chain pharmacies do it. They ARE being reissued. It was a story on the news just a few days ago.
    So the medicine I get at the pharmacy,
    could have been in someone elses hands before?

no. Some organizations take some of them to use in countries that dont have access to them (ie: Aids drugs) and most of the others are destroyed. But medicare rules state that in certain situations, drugs may be reclaimed from a dead patient in a nursing home or in a hospice. They are re issued to another patient. You can bet that they charged both of those patients for the same drugs. There is supposed to be a system for crediting medicare for the unused drugs and all that, but it is a huge hassle. But even if your drugs are taken to a pharmacy and then donated to an organisation that re issues them in a poor country, dont you think that they are getting a full value tax deduction?
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

It was on the local news yesterday that any drugs recycled would only be distributed to those unable to buy them. The ones I gave to the police drug incineration program were all expired, so I am glad they are gone.

Hopefully, we will have better health management in the future and fewer drugs to take and dispose of.
    T-4 complete since 1973