Thread: My first cystoscopy, what to expect?

My first cystoscopy, what to expect?

I'm going in for a cystoscopy tomorrow, and I'm not real excited about it. Aside from the fact that the scope looks larger than anything I'd want to have shoved up there, are there risks of complications? I'm concerned about getting an infection from one of these things, since I assume they reuse them for each patient. Can they damage the urethra?

Hi Zero,

I just found this old post of mine. Coincidentally, it was addressed to you in a thread entitled "Recipes for avoiding UTI's".

Don't let my bad experience deter you from having a cystoscopy performed. But I would recommend that you help the doctor or physician's assistant "guide" the scope in. You know what to "feel" for and what's too much force. I'm sure they have an extra pair of sterile gloves lying around the exam room.

Or just tell him or her of my experience and to be VERY careful with YOUR urethra.

Good luck,

Bob.

PS. Sorry you've been having a bad time of it this past week or two. I hope things start getting better in your life.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Yeah I remember your post Bob, that was the source of some of my hesitation. My catheters are always hard to get in, they get stuck in the "curve" in the urethra and need to be coaxed past it, or I'll end up bleeding. I'll make sure the urologist knows this, and demand a second set of gloves if I think he might be going too fast. Thanks.

I think, but am not sure, that different places use different pieces of equipment to perform this procedure... but I've had three and don't recall anything re-usable... it all came out of sterile packaging.

Also, I have always been given antibiotics to take pre and post procedure.
    --------------------
    "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)

If it is a flex cysto- they will clean you & then drape you-no, dont touch it. We give an injection to prevent any infection. Theny put in the Lidocaine gel (that is all we use for pain)& wait a few minutes.You don't need to guide it- they are looking through the scope as they are going in to see what's up in your urethra, sphincters, prostate & bladder neck., then the bladder. It might be hooked up to a television for your viewing pleasure (& maybe not.)The scope is a 14 fr.-same size as most catheters used for adults.It doesn't take but a minute.Water runs through it and there is aight. Some attach a syringe and pull out some fluid & send for cytology-called a bladder washing.
    or per SP tube-pretty much same thing but dont usually need Lidocaine gel.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Yeah I remember your post Bob, that was the source of some of my hesitation. My catheters are always hard to get in, they get stuck in the "curve" in the urethra and need to be coaxed past it, or I'll end up bleeding. I'll make sure the urologist knows this, and demand a second set of gloves if I think he might be going too fast. Thanks.
    Zero, you may have a stricture if you're having a hard time inserting the catheter. That's why I had to get a cystoscopy done, and the uro went in and checked it out. He found a stricture close to my bladder neck (sphincter), and he scheduled surgery to excise the stricture. It worked great, my catheters are easy to insert now. After he checked via camera for the a stricture (I told him I had one, because of problems you mention of having trouble getting it all the way into the bladder, as well as bleeding if my catheter kinked doing so, or bleeding from repeated attempts), I told him I wanted a 500mg Cipro. He gave me one as I was leaving, just in case of potential UTI.

A week later after the surgery to incise or excise (not up on terminology of the surgical procedure name, but it's cysto-something) the stricture, all was well. I've had a couple of strictures, and the first one I had was a decade ago, and that uro just rammed a metal rod up my urethra and "blew" the stricture out without even warning me or letting me know what he was doing. I had quite the arugment with this first uro after he blew out my stricture with his metal rod, but regardless, it did rid me of my first stricture.

I mentioned this previous procedure to this second uro, and he said that's one procedure still used (metal rod)...I told him forget it, schedule the surgery to cut it out. I was in and out of the hospital in 10 hours, general anathesea and all. And now I'm extra careful about ramming the catheter in...I take my time, make sure to use lots of lubrication, and things are working well.

Good luck friend.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Thanks all. My appointment is in a few hours. I'm going to insist he take it slowly, and that I can watch on camera while he's doing it. I've learned you've got to tell doctors exactly what you want and be insistent. Just because they're experts doesn't mean they can't mess things up!

Well I just got back. Nothing to it! It was actually pretty interesting seeing the inside of my bladder. And the good news is no problems showed up. No stones, no strictures, just one small irritated spot where the catheter hits the back side of the bladder, nothing to worry about according to the doc.

On the downside, still no clue why I'm leaking on occasion. The doc gave me samples of Detrol and Vesicare to try, maybe they'll work better than the Ditropan. The amitriptyline has been helping, I might try taking two a day and see if that helps too. So the saga continues! At least there's no bladder problems to deal with (yet).

Good to hear Zero Hope you get it figured out.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!