Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safest Disposal method for unused drugs

Safest Disposal method for unused drugs

I have a lot of unused narcotics hanging around the house. I don't want to have them around, especially since it is not safe for me when depression hits hardest. I dont want to flush them into the water supply, and there is too much to do that with anyway. How can I get rid of them safely without worrying that someone will get hold of them, poisoning themselves or maybe a hapless animal getting into the garbage?
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Take them to your Pharmacy they will get rid of them.

Ok, but I'm completely untrusting and will take the meat mallet to them first just to be sure that they are not going to be resold.

I'd think sending them down a sink disposal would be fine, or just down a sink with plenty of water to flush them through the pipes. Or flushed down a toilet. I know you don't like the idea of them ending up in the water supply but it would be just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the chemicals that end up there through people's urine.

Another idea might be to drop them in an empty milk jug, collapsing the jug, putting the cap back on, and throwing it in the trash. It should say closed up long enough to make it to a landfill where it will be buried.

Actually, drugs in the water supply is a problem. We can't do anything about the ones in our output, but it has been a topic of concern in my area. It was on the news awhile back that the drugs were causing problems with wildlife because they can't all be cleared out through our sewer processing systems.

In Salt Lake City we have secure drop boxes and the media spent some time educating us about NOT flushing old unneeded drugs. The drugs from the boxes are incinerated by the police along with obsolete evidence. I live in the burbs, and some of the neighbors and I all cleaned out our medicine cabinets and sent a ziplock baggie with assorted pills in it to our local police for incineration. We had one of the older ladies in our neighborhood take them in--a lot of pills and no questions asked.

My local pharmacy told me to flush them--and that was after the drop boxes and info was on the news! Also, I have heard you can mix them with coffee grounds or kitty litter and then put them in the garbage.

Hope this helps and kudos on making a good move in a prudent fashion!
    T-4 complete since 1973

Actually, I talked to the local volunteers in medicine clinic today. They are happy to take them since they are all within the expiration dates. They can use them to help their indigent patients, and I know that they will not be wasted.

That makes me happy.

FYI Safeway pharmacy recycles unused meds.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Yes they do. But I hate letting them make a profit twice.

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    FYI Safeway pharmacy recycles unused meds.
    WOW!!! Are you serious? I never knew that a) this was being done and b) that the FDA would even allow it. I agree with skippy, I wouldn't want them to get profits twice on an already gauged up product.

"I know you don't like the idea of them ending up in the water supply but it would be just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the chemicals that end up there through people's urine."

Thank you also Zero for this bit of info.

p.s. can someone tell me how to quote two different lines from two different posts?

cara

Sure, drugs are recycled sometimes. So are some braces at the orthodontists office. You should always ask.

I cant flush them. There are a LOT of them. I could get my whole town high. Lol. Morphine, Oxy....