Thread: Lake George

Lake George

Has anyone ever been to Lake George, NY? Any ideas on where to stay for a quadriplegic? Any ideas on activities? Thanks.

Doreen

I was there 40 years ago. As a para, I remember it being pretty easy for the wheelchair to get around. Everyone is different, but it's probably only gotten better since the 60's. One place you should see is Ft. Henry. The view of the lake from there was worth the price of admission. Truly beautiful! I hope my two cents helped. Have fun!
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

Grew up going to Lake George. Love the place, but was never there post-SCI. Heard it´s booming. My mom goes a few times a year, and will be camping at Heartstone. Lots of info using Google, but can´t make any concrete recommendations.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Thanks 6String and Mike. I'll look into Ft. Henry. I'll let you know what happens.

Went there a few years ago and my senile old memory plays tricks on me. Fort Henry, OK, very touristy. We drove along the west shore and ate at a nice restaurant built on a rock cliff overlooking lake - accessible, even bathrooms. Can't remember name but there were natural holes in the rocks that indians used for storage/cooking. Great view of lake while eating and the rock surface around restaurant was flat enough to wheel on and examine the holes. The real treat was driving up to Fort Ticonderoga on Lake Champlain (didn't seem all that far). Ticonderoga is restored like original with original rock walls, seems authentic. They had reenactors doing fife and drums, etc. We wheeled right along with them.

Down by Lake George you may want to stay off the tourist boats. I live in Michigan and several years ago one of thgese boats overturned drowning some Michigan seniors.

Have fun, beautiful part of country, wish I was going back.

There are loads of hotels and motels in the Lake George area and many of them boast accesible rooms. In my experience, the older motels usually don't work well for chair -users but the newer chains are pretty good. There are a number of surprises such as an accessible room but an inaccesible pool area, etc. By the way, I go every fall and race in the YKNOT regatta at the YMCA Camp Cinghacook. The regatta is for sailors with disabilites and many of them are quads. It's a great time and a great event. This year the event is Sept 6-7. Their website also has an accesible accommodations link. Enjoy. It's a great place for history buffs!

Thank you everyone for your advice/suggestions. Lake George was absolutely beautiful and very peaceful. I hated to return home. We stayed at Fort William Henry. Very beautiful, next time I would spend the extra money and stay in the newer part of the hotel. We saw fireworks over the lake on Thursday night which were beautiful. The view of the lake and mountains was breath taking. Lake George is a very romantic, serene and scenic. A perfect trip.

Doreen

Quote Originally Posted by DOREEN
    Thank you everyone for your advice/suggestions. Lake George was absolutely beautiful and very peaceful. I hated to return home. We stayed at Fort William Henry. Very beautiful, next time I would spend the extra money and stay in the newer part of the hotel. We saw fireworks over the lake on Thursday night which were beautiful. The view of the lake and mountains was breath taking. Lake George is a very romantic, serene and scenic. A perfect trip.

Doreen
    Very cool!
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton