Thread: Tape Burns: Treatment?

Tape Burns: Treatment?

I use a bit of gauze to cover the stoma around the suprapubic cath, and I used a different kind of tape this week. When i removed it on Thursday I had huge sores on my skin, where the tape was adhered. They bled lightly, blistered significantly, and look very much like second degree burns. Each sore is about 1 inch wide and 2-3 inches long. Currently, they have scabbed over and I'm using a little antibiotic ointment on them.

Should I be treating them with anything else?
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

It is best to avoid use of a dressing around suprapubic stomas if possible, as they just keep the area warm, dark and moist, which is a perfect growth condition for bacteria.

Triple antibiotic ointment is fine, but they should be kept covered if possible.

In the future, avoid that type of tape (you may be allergic to the adhesive) and always put a protective wipe on your skin under tape. It helps the tape stick but also helps to prevent tape burn when it is removed. I especially like the 3M No-Sting Protective Barrier swabs.

(KLD)

Thank you for the advice

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Tape

I am allergic to many of the tapes used by docs and hospitals. I always request paper tape, and have had that info inserted into my medical records. I have a colostomy, thus the wafer has adhesive on it. I use a skin barrier before applying the wafer, no skin problems in that area for five years.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Can you buy skin barrier in the drug store?

You usually need to purchase it from someplace that sells ostomy or urological supplies. I have not seen it in a regular drug store. The place where you get your catheters should have a variety of brands.

(KLD)