Thread: Pneumonia scare

Pneumonia scare

Of course CareCure crashes when I seriously need info about wtf is going on with me. Monday night I had a scratchy throat, Tuesday was a bad cough, that night was congestion and labored breathing (I was scared to go to sleep) Wednsday morning called the doc trying to avoid the ER but get sent there anyways and end up getting admitted, YEAH! Thand god it was only one night and that everything got under control quickly.

I still have a nasty cough but atleast now i am able to clear some of this congestion which is what I was unable to do earlier this week.

Glad CC is back up.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

hope you're feeling better soon! I always love being in hospitals...
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Glad you're feeling better Chris!

Glad you're better!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I haven't had a bad cold in a long, long time, but the key is to get plenty of fluids to keep the mucus in your lungs loose and to cough that stuff up as much as you can to avoid pneumonia. It's gross, but you have to keep tabs on the color, too, so you need to spit it out and look at it sometimes. The clearer the better, and white is better than yellow, yellow better than green. Green indicates a bacterial infection which would require antibiotics to avoid bronchitis or worse, pneumonia.

Glad to hear you're doing better! I remember some rough nights, breathing and feeling/hearing my lungs "rattle" and sleeping very little because of having to cough so much. Pneumonia has taken the lives of people with SCI far too often and far too young.

Maybe one of the nurses can give info on a Pneumonia vaccine?

Avoid To Lay In Bed On Your Back [too Much]....try To Turn Or Ask For Help If You Cannot .
    My Best Wishes My Friend.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Thanks for the info Scorpion, those nights were definately the scariest thing since my injury. Brought back alot of bad memories of ICU and the ventilater, nothing worse IMHO than not being able to breathe.

Thanks everyone else for the good wishes, they must have worked because today I feel 100%.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs
    Brought back alot of bad memories of ICU and the ventilater, nothing worse IMHO than not being able to breathe.
    I remember some scary times in ICU on the vent, including a code when a mucus plug blocked my airway and I couldn't breathe at all! And a couple times having a bad cold and cough reminded me, like you, of those times too. Not being able to get air, or even enough air, is definitely the scariest thing I've lived through, and there were times in ICU and early rehab where I was panicking because I needed a nurse or someone to suction my lungs. I'm glad I don't remember drowning!

Glad you're feeling 100%!