Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AZ-1 Hand Controls Anyone used them???

AZ-1 Hand Controls Anyone used them???

Hey Carecure is back up!

Okay, here is the deal. I am getting a car in the next couple of weeks, and I need to put hand controls on it.

Vocational rehab said they can help me with putting hand controls on it, but they wont be able to do anything about it for at least 3 months and probably more like 6 months. So in the mean time, i was thinking about buying a pair of these http://www.allegromedical.com/wheelc...s-p211058.html

to use until I get some "real" hand controls.

Has anyone used these, or does anyone have any opinions about them???

I will be putting them on a 2004 Camry.

Thanks guys,

josh

I used them on my second car for a while. They were okay. I've since mailed them to another CC user and so I hope that person posts comments about how it's worked for them.
    Daniel

I like the PHC III ones better than those. Had a pair for years and no problems.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    I like the PHC III ones better than those. Had a pair for years and no problems.
    Curt, why do you like the wheelability ones more than the colours? I've tried both and they seem pretty similar, actually. Both have a resemblance to taking a pair of broom handle and fixing it to the pedals.
    Daniel

Hmm, $100 difference between the two. I'd go cheaper especially since they are 'temporary'. Good to have some quick-connect controls, I gotta get some just in case. Although cludging together a set out of some threaded rod, aircraft joints, and misc. metal stock from mcmaster.com seems even better, couldnt cost more than $50.

Can those handcontrols be hooked just to the brake? So someone could use their foot for the gas and the hand control for the brake?

Alex, yes. They are basically two sticks, so if you don't need the gas control, you can just hook up the stick to the break. I drove like that for quite a while.
    Daniel

thanks for the replies!

Any advice on how to keep the controls in place. The website specifically says that they dont come with a strap or anything to keep them where you want them.

So I just got the AZ-1 hand controls and I figured I'd follow up and let you guys know how they work.

They were super easy to attach... hardest part was getting up underneath the steeringwheel to attach them. It took maybe 2 minutes to get them attached and adjusted right.

I didnt know exactly how it worked before I got it, so I figure I will let you guys know. There is a motorcycle hand grip on a pole that runs straight to the brake. You push the handle, and it pushes the brake. The other pole that runs to the gas is attached to the motocycle hand grip with a little button kind of. So to press the gas you press with your thumb only, which is directly pressing down the gas pedal. It isnt very hard to do, but if you've got a lot of stop and go driving, I could see your thumb getting tired. The controls dont attach to anything, which is fine, they probably wouldnt work very well if they did, you just hold the motorcycle grip between your legs.

All in all, I am happy with it. Not as good as "real" hand controls, but I am very confident with them, right away, and they would be very simple to move into and out of a rental car if you needed to.

I kinda like the phc III better, there is a strap that goes around the steering column and they are more like a conventional push/pull hand control.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred