Thread: Lactulose and other bowel softners

Lactulose and other bowel softners

My Doctor prescribed me 2 Tablespoons of Lactulose a day. I have a B M every other day with a Biscodil suppository, but the stool is quite hard still and takes me quite awhile to finish. I drink about 3 liters a day, eat well, and use a commode. Is it safe to take Surfak, Colace or Milk of Magnesia also? What time of day is it best to take the Lactulose? Any other suggestions?

Thanks Jeremy

You WILL go with Lactulose, its just a question of the dose. I used to take it the night before my bowel program but found I was over stimulating my bowels. I'm surprised two tablespoons wasnt more effective for you.

Jeremy-
    Are you taking any narcotics? Are you drinking enough? What does your diet consist of? Before I would add any medications, I would take a look at those things. If you are drinking enough fluids and eating well, I would slowly add colace to the regimine. Stay away from milk of magnesia.
    CKF

Lactulose is not a stool softener. It is an osmotic laxative. Long term, routine use of any laxatives or strong stimulants should be avoided as it is associated with the development of megacolon (a stretched out, lazy bowel) in people with SCI.

Dietary fiber intake of at least 30 gm. daily will help produce softer stool as will the use of DSS (Colace, up to 1000 mg. daily), and taking more water. Stool that is already hard cannot be softened by these measures though, so they need to be used routinely to prevent excessive hardening. Exercise and standing will also improve bowel motility, so are also helpful.

(KLD)

Thanks for the replies. I drink about 2000ml of water 900ml of tea, and 500ml of cranberry juice a day plus eat all bran, apples, other fruits, vegatables thru the day. I just started the Latulose a few weeks ago, I'll get some Colace and try that. I used to not have to take anything, except Biscodal suppositories. Can I take Lactulose and Colace together and what time of day is best? and when should I stop? I can't stand either. I wish I could.

Jeremy

Colace should be taken routinely and spread out through the day. If you must routinely use Lactulose, it can be combined with Colace, but should be taken 6-8 hours before you do bowel care. I usually reserve Lactulose for the management of impactions.

Miralax may be safer than Lactulose, but it is so new we don't have any track record for its use for years.

Black tea can be constipating due to the tannin content. Try drinking green tea or just sticking to water for a while and see if that does not help.

Keep a diet diary and log how much fiber you are really eating. Many people think they are eating a lot, but when they really track it, studies find the most people with SCI are only getting 8-10 gm. daily.

(KLD)