Thread: What is with my bowel?

What is with my bowel?

I know Ive been reading alot of problems with the bp latley.Im a t-8 complete since 4/21/06 at first I had very little accidents for the first year or so.Ive had a bladder aug ,and Im woundering if that may be causing problems since they used part of my intestine to enlarge my bladder.
    Ive had a few accidents latley.I was going every other day and it was going fine.Then it seemed to take 1 to 2 hours to go and I would have accidents as soon as I would get in the shower.Also sometimes at night I would crap in my pants too.
    It used to only take an hour at the most now its rediculous.
    I had my last accident thursday,so I waited untill sunday morning(today) to try and go,but I was on the toilet for 2 hours and hrdly anything?Im using 1 magic bullet with som dig stem and srinking coffe to help.Ive been eating alot why wont it come out and why is it taking so damn long?
    Also I have some pressure sores that I belive I got from tranfering or maybey the toilet seat.
    When I sit on the toilet that long (2 hours) my sores bleed and that cant be good.Please help!!Is ther somthing I can drink to make my bp faster so I dont bleed to death while sitting on the toilet?

The first things I would recommend is to go back to step one of starting a bowel program and take it from there. You need to make sure that you are getting enough fiber in your diet. If your diet is lacking in fruits and vegetables you may want to try adding some via over the counter medications such as citrucel, metamucil or other similar medications. Make sure that you are drinking enough water- If your stool is hard, you may want to add some stool softener to the routine.
    Normally I would recommend that you sit up on the toilet or commode, but given that you have pressure ulcers, that is NOT a good idea. Make sure that when you insert the suppository that you are on your left side and stay in that position.
    If the magic bullet isn't working, I would ask your doctor to try something else. There are a variety of products that can be used- enemeez, fleets bisacodyl enema, dulcolax suppository. Only change one thing at a time and give your bowel a few days inbetween to see if the change did anything. I would also consider doing your program every day for a few weeks and seeing if that helps.
    You don't say what the pressure ulcers look like so I am going to give some very general advice on those. Do NOT sit on them if you can possibly avoid it. Do NOT lie on them in bed. Try to use positions that totally keep the pressure off of them. Keep them clean- and moist. If you let us know what they look like, we might be able to give you some more solid advice. You should see your doctor to start on a regimine that can help them heal. Don't let this go!!

Hope that this helps a little.
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    The first things I would recommend is to go back to step one of starting a bowel program and take it from there. You need to make sure that you are getting enough fiber in your diet. If your diet is lacking in fruits and vegetables you may want to try adding some via over the counter medications such as citrucel, metamucil or other similar medications. Make sure that you are drinking enough water- If your stool is hard, you may want to add some stool softener to the routine.
    Normally I would recommend that you sit up on the toilet or commode, but given that you have pressure ulcers, that is NOT a good idea. Make sure that when you insert the suppository that you are on your left side and stay in that position.
    If the magic bullet isn't working, I would ask your doctor to try something else. There are a variety of products that can be used- enemeez, fleets bisacodyl enema, dulcolax suppository. Only change one thing at a time and give your bowel a few days inbetween to see if the change did anything. I would also consider doing your program every day for a few weeks and seeing if that helps.
    You don't say what the pressure ulcers look like so I am going to give some very general advice on those. Do NOT sit on them if you can possibly avoid it. Do NOT lie on them in bed. Try to use positions that totally keep the pressure off of them. Keep them clean- and moist. If you let us know what they look like, we might be able to give you some more solid advice. You should see your doctor to start on a regimine that can help them heal. Don't let this go!!

Hope that this helps a little.

CKF
    First of all thankyou for your post.
    Im on day 4 and no bm.I dont insert my mb while laying down Im to affraid if I do have a bm then Ill be cleaning up a mess.I have tried metamucil ,but thats when i had alot of accidents.I realy do not eat well so I know I need to do that.
    I have 4 small pressure sores located on my tail bone area from tranfering. And the toilet seat makes them bleed.I do not ever lie on the area they are in.The doctor at rancho gave me silver sulfadiazine to put on 2 times a day.As far as not sitting on it that would be impossible I need to drive and get around in my chair.
    I have an apointment at ranco agin in 3 weeks.

We were just discussing this in chat today. Eating atleast 30 minutes before hand helps dramatically to move things along. I have not had the augmentation yet, but I've heard a few to say that their bp's changed and that it took a while to get regular again. good luck

Here'a few cushions for the toilet seat:
    http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Vinyl.../dp/B0009STN3S http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply...Leaf_Id=557450
    http://www.allegromedical.com/bathro...tm_medium=feed
    http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-6588948-6304140?ASIN=B000BKGVWK&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000BKGVW K|4"_Vinyl_Toilet_Seat_Cushion&ci_src=14110944&ci_ sku=B000BKGVWK&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

However I gotta say you oughta try the BP in the bed for awhile to get the sores healing. Lay out some Chux or underpads & afterwards toss 'em. I've done that for years & the mess is manageable. Also I use this curved plastic bowl - kinda kidney shaped - (from a hospital stay) that, when I'm on my side, fits up against my butt cheek & catches the worst of it. Sorry I can't figure out what it is called or where to get one.
    Hope that helps.
    Robert

live free, drive fast

It is called an "emesis (vomit)" basin.

If you don't have or can't afford disposable chux, a full-thickness of a section of newspaper (or more) works just as well for bowel care in bed on your side.

(KLD)

When in front of me I called it a 'spit bowl',
    in back it's a 'shit bowl'.
    You can get 'em here:
    http://www.medical-supplies-equipmen...uct_search.asp
    Robert

live free, drive fast

Also more generically called a 'kidney basin' (because of its shape).

(KLD)