Thread: SP Tube... help!

SP Tube... help!

I'm trying to find a coude tipped cath. Here's what I ordered...

https://www.athomemedical.com/Coude-...ide-Stripe.asp

When it came in today, I discovered it doesn't have a "bubble" or a drainage tube. What in the heck is this thing for? I'm guessing it's a single use cath??? Where can I find what I need?
    AB, Husband is c5-6 inc quad, 25 years post injury.

Why do you need a coude tipped catheter for a SP tube? The coude tip is to help get the catheter past the prostate (up the urethra). There is no benefit for using one for your SP tract, and it may actually slip into the urethra (bad!) more easily.

You probably just ordered a coude tipped catheter, which most vendors would assume is a straight catheter. This would be used for intermittent catheterization or to obtain a specimen from a single catheterization. You should have ordered (if you really need one) a coude-tipped indwelling or Foley catheter, which would have also required you to specify a balloon size.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Why do you need a coude tipped catheter for a SP tube? The coude tip is to help get the catheter past the prostate (up the urethra). There is no benefit for using one for your SP tract, and it may actually slip into the urethra (bad!) more easily.

(KLD)
    Sorry, guess I should have explained the whole story. In a nutshell, I've had problems inserting the cath for about 6 months, seems there is a calcium build-up or something going on. So, we've been going to the uro offce to change it out lately. He had to use a coude to get it in last time and wrote a script, I'm just having trouble finding it online. It is in fact a FOLEY that I need, right?

ribbed balloon?

When I got my order it was a "ribbed" balloon. Anyone ever use these? Any opinions on this type, we've never used them.