Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live in california?

KLD, sorry to correct you, but DOJ has very little interest, and no funds for enforcing ADA. It just does not happen that easily. The only way to correct an ADA violation is by filing with a private attorney. That said, the law in California invites the vultures to entice people like NEWPARA, who could use the money.

Don't fall prey to the vulture, NEWPARA. Your self-respect, the self-respect of all of us, is at stake. This should not be a money making venture for you. Only the most egregious violations should be addressed with a law suit.

Like I said in another post, I did file. I could not get into the restroom of a restaurant. The restaurant knew for years that it was out of compliance, yet did nothing to correct the situation. Being denied access to a restroom is, in my opinion egregious. I pondered my decision for many weeks before filing. I recieved nothing from the suit but the satisfaction that the next wheelchair pusher in that restaurant will have access to the restroom.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    See my post under the California forum. This guy is a vulture. He did the same thing with the health industry before he glommed onto some vulnerable and gullible people with disabilities. They are sent out to find violations and then instead of talking with the owner or manager and getting accommodations made, he slaps them with a lawsuit. Many people have said that he has made them hate the ADA and PWD. He is slime.

If you have a legitimate ADA complaint, file with the DOJ or DOT yourself. You don't need an attorney, unless you just want a piece of his ill-gotten millions (and you will get VERY little of what he gets by using you)!

(KLD)
    Thank you for an explaination instead of comming up with thats
    "pathetic" or "reprehesable".Those comments were takin as a personal insult!I was merly posting a link to a site I ran across I do not need ignorant comments like that!what a couple asslicks!
    I may be new to this site but I will not be talked down to for no damn good reason!

I thought you had been here as long as I have. I know that there have been other threads on this topic. It's quite probable bspill and TR thought you had already read one of the other threads. I know that when I first looked at your question, it could be read one of two ways: a way to make money or I can't believe this guy is doing this.

This lawyer is reprehensible. I've read articles in, I believe, the LA Times about him and a squad of wheelchair users who go into places and <i>intentionally</i> look for things. They'll go into restaurants and go straight to the bathrooms, see if they are compliant, and leave. The first thing the restaurant knows about the visit is when someone serves them papers.

That is not a good way to endear ourselves to businesses. If they talked with the manager, the problem might be able to be fixed for 50 bucks. Going straight to the lawsuit, and going for as much as they possibly can, tends to put small businesses out of business.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon
    I thought you had been here as long as I have. I know that there have been other threads on this topic. It's quite probable bspill and TR thought you had already read one of the other threads. I know that when I first looked at your question, it could be read one of two ways: a way to make money or I can't believe this guy is doing this.

This lawyer is reprehensible. I've read articles in, I believe, the LA Times about him and a squad of wheelchair users who go into places and <i>intentionally</i> look for things. They'll go into restaurants and go straight to the bathrooms, see if they are compliant, and leave. The first thing the restaurant knows about the visit is when someone serves them papers.

That is not a good way to endear ourselves to businesses. If they talked with the manager, the problem might be able to be fixed for 50 bucks. Going straight to the lawsuit, and going for as much as they possibly can, tends to put small businesses out of business.
    I certainly see your point.I joind cc awhile back but only recently got use of my internet back ,so no Ive never heard of this guy.