Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad teeth

The dentures look nice..I'm curious though--Did you keep up with 6 month dentist visits & brush/floss properly?? Or was there some neglect.

Teeth are so important. Glad you were able to get dentures & I hope the healing goes better for you!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

All of my teeth have pretty much rotted over the past 2 years. My dentist told me it was entirely medication related. It started with my back teeth. My molars literally began disintegrating. Bits of teeth would end up on my toothbrush after brushing. Once the decay started it didn't take long for the teeth to completely fall apart. Now my front teeth are doing the same. I had a bunch of teeth pulled last month and started the process of getting implants. Now it looks like the rest of my teeth will have to go. Having all my teeth rot out was not something I would have anticipated as a side effect of my injury. It's like it never ends.
    Last edited by orangejello; 03-30-2008 at 01:06 PM.

OJ the implants run some money, but they are worth it. The things the doctors/pharmacists dont tell you. Medications can have some negative side effects like this. For some people it does'nt seem to matter how good your dental hygiene. It just happens. Just another thing on the heap o' things.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Like you didn't have enough problems already.

What medications are you taking, Orange?

Gee, I been in a wheelchair 30 years taking Vit. C, Mandelamine, Ditropan, Baclofen, Asacol and so forth...my choppers are basically the same. Sure they have aged 30 years like the rest of me, but they haven't given me any unusual problems. I had plenty of cavities as a kid and I had a couple crowns put in about 32 years ago but no dental problems to speak of. As an adult now... I wish I had braces put on when I was a teen. We wuz poor folk back then and only the rich people got them,lol. I brush twice a day and floss maybe once or twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    All of my teeth have pretty much rotted over the past 2 years. My dentist told me it was entirely medication related. It started with my back teeth. My molars literally began disintegrating. Bits of teeth would end up on my toothbrush after brushing. Once the decay started it didn't take long for the teeth to completely fall apart. Now my front teeth are doing the same. I had a bunch of teeth pulled last month and started the process of getting implants. Now it looks like the rest of my teeth will have to go. Having all my teeth rot out was not something I would have anticipated as a side effect of my injury. It's like it never ends.
    this sounds like mine. the front haven't started yet but i know its coming eventually.

forget the teeth -- whose the woman?
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Same with me I'm 38 & cavity free, wisdom teeth are getting to be a problem though. Guess I'm going to have to ask my Dr. for a refferal to a Oral Surgeon. Because of the risk of infection in my shunt they will be coming out in a nice sterile OR.

Our dentist told us that he often sees deterioration of the teeth after a major op or other trauma.
    - Richard

I had a tooth break in half from biting down on a piece of beef jerky. The dentist said it was caused by the ditropan making my mouth so dry and it would have broken even eating mashed potatoes. My teeth are HORRIBLE now! I've had to have a lot of them pulled because, even with dental insurance, I can't afford the cost of root canals for every one of them!

I just went to the dental school at U of M and plan on having a lot of work done through them to get my mouth back looking decent. I'd love to be able to get implants for all the missing teeth, but even with the school only charging half of what a regular dentist would charge, the implants will still be $1500 each and the dentist said he doesn't think my insurance will cover any of that!

I'll be getting a bridge for the one tooth that broke in half and have to go with a partial on the bottom. The dentist said I have to have something done - I have no back teeth at all now and he said that's not good for digestion if you can't chew your food properly. I'm wondering if my bowel program will go better if I get some back teeth and am able to chew better. That sure would be nice!

But, yeah, who would ever expect that bad teeth would be such a major side effect of a spinal cord injury????? The fun just never stops, does it!
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03