Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad teeth

Unhappy Bad teeth

Has anyone else here had problems with their teeth from taking all these medications? All my teeth rotted and I just got dentures put in. Let me tell you, they are absolutely horrible. I can't believe my voice recognition is even working right now. My whole palette is hard plastic and my gums are still so raw that I can't chew anything yet. I'll probably be on a liquid diet for the rest of the week.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

What are all the meds for (better yet, are there any natural alternatives to them)?

Man, that sucks. I dip about two cans of Copenhagen a week, and my gums and teeth are the exact same as before injury.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

rybread

I used to be a dental technician. I made crowns bridges, dentures etc..
    I have even made immediate dentures like yours, and so have some experience with them. Many medications can cause dental problems, and I am convinced that sometimes great stresses on the body can also take a toll. The teeth will feel strange for a while. This is a huge adjustment, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. As your gums continue to heal and the swelling goes down there will be more slippage. That will make you prone to get sore spots which must not be ignored. As you know you will need periodic relining to get a better fit as time goes on. You will know when it is time. It can take up to a year or more to get the final fit. Then I think you will be happier with them. The palate area can be thinned out to give your tongue more room. The proper fit for you requires some tweaking. I dont know if your immediate dentures are a temporary set, but I always made a second set after the gums had healed sufficiently and it was included in the price. You might look into getting a soft liner put in by the person who made your teeth when you get a reline. It is much easier on the gums, and helps to hold them in. Just take it easy on yourself for the first month. Dont get too anxious to get to that steak unless you cut it smaller than you normally would to make it easier to chew. I hope that you will eventually grow to like them, and find them to be a benefit to you and your overall health.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

What medications have ruined your teeth?

medications that cause dry mouth can lead to dental problems from the dry mouth. Drugs include anti depressants, fosamax, etc...

getting all the replies so quick I'm going to open up chat or I'm on Yahoo probably for another hour or so. I'll use the flashchat.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

One med which is bad on the teeth is Ditropan because it keeps the mouth dry. Any med which dries the mouth makes us more susceptible to tooth decay. Although it sounds kind of gross, artificial saliva can help. Sugarless mints and sugarless gum can help keep the mouth moist, too.

Also, drinking lots and lots and lots of h2o is good.

Certain anti-epileptic meds can cause problems. Dilantin can cause gum growth and can be bad on the teeth.

Even with regular dental care and diligence about brushing, we can get big problems quickly.

I feel for you, Rybread. Hang in. It will get better.

It is one more reason to quit smoking, as it too dries the mouth. This is an observation, not judgement as I myself smoke.

Here's some pictures of my teeth before, during and after rotting. The one picture with my new teeth my face is still really swallowed up and I'm still on bedrest.

C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

I see the damage, and the beautiful new smile is great!

This kind of damage(the enamel wearing) is very similar to crackhead mouth. In fact a lot of dentists and doctors make that assumption. You might try researchin Xerostomia and Xerogenic drugs. Dry mouth will still be a concern for you, as dentures can contribute it too. The new teeth look very nice, and I hope they will make you feel better in the long run. Most people have no idea how much their teeth can affect their overall health. best of luck in your healing.