Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: topamax

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    oh geez, beth...i'm on samples...dunno if my ins. covers it. so far, no relief anyway. but, ya know, short term dis ins can't even decide if i'm truly dis or fakin it anyway so..... f em. sorta....i've pretty much decided i can't do it any more. NOW they want me to talk to voc rehab HA. 2 degrees, 27 yrs working as an engineer, 21 as a quad in pain....ummmmmm, i don't think so.
    Dont get me started on Voc Rehab I guess in NC the only jobs they can find for someone is telemarketing so I finally gave up on them!!! I have better luck on my own.....

Anyway....you have been at it a long time. Maybe you need to take some time off and take care of yourself. Every few years I develop some problem that I just cant take care of and work too. I am amazed you have worked a straight 21 years disabled and raised a kid too.

Working is a lifesaver for me as I go stir crazy when I am at home.

Its okay to step back and take care of yourself. I wish you health and happiness. VR is a waste of time!!!!

My short term disability wouldnt even accept my claim in 2005....yep I paid my premiums....so I just went straight back to SSDI.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Banned

Topomax

Hello, I am new here but. I have been on Topomax since about December I think. I had tried Neurontin and Lyrica and could not stand the side effects and read about topomax at another forum and asked for it.

I started out slow and the doctor increased it. I take three 50 mg tabs at bed this is how its prescribed and it makes me tired so it helps me sleep as well. It has helped me tons with neuropathic nerve pain. I have no nerves impinged. It helped alot at first, it knocks out alot of the burning part I had. The nerve pain is still there but greatly diminished. I also take cymbalta but have been on that for a year longer. The pm says they can only increase the topomax by 50 more mg's so they are holding off for as long as possible.

I do like it, it doestn' have the brain fog, I am on five meds so the combo or one of them effects my memory long and short but much better than neurontin and lyrica by far.

I didnt loose any weight till the last month or two. I then lost ten lbs or just gradually lost it. This is all the weight I had to loose I am now back to my normal prepregnancy weight or weight I should be when I had to quit working, however I have no muscle which sucks...

I love it and would recommend it. It also is used as a mood stabilizer for bipolar disorders and for migraines so it has other qualities to and I really do think it had a calming effect for me, and ya know I have been through a very stressful time.

I am one year post op spinal fusion and well basically it didnt' help.

Banned
    PS there are programs out there for help with meds for people who need them. I can find the link if you guys need me to.

Doc wants me to try Topamax again. Start at 25 mg. What dose is supposed to be effective? I already have no appetite due to abdominal pain, so I can't lose it.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Banned

Its gradual

It kinda has to build up. I felt no immediate effect where others told me different. I think it was about a week I noticed a difference, then I think at two weeks he increased the dosage to two pills. Then I got alot more relief or it might of been that's when I started really noticing a difference. But when he then went to the third pill, is when I got the most help. The plan was the full dosage of three pills but you can't start on three, you have to follow a certain order of starting and adding gradually.

I would definitly give it a shot, For me it has had the least side effects, and really if you have to choose between loosing weight and gaining weight as a side effect health wise loosing has to be better.Alot of people have gained due to inactiving and being on these others.

When I was on lyrica I had such severe swelling in my hands and feet I could not handle it, I gained weight very rapid, and I am not a person who tends to gain weight.

But it has helped alot, not eliminated it, but made a huge difference. The pm doctor told me the other day I can only go up one more dose so...we'll see

cass, i'm so far behind...how's the topamax working for you? 25mg is a really really low dose....I did lose my appetite on it and have lost a ton of weight, but I needed to anyway...not everyone does tho, as others have already commented already...I hope it's working for you so far...and yes, as Betheny commented it's evil expensive, but for me worth it...and Medicare DOES pay for it, with a $65 co-pay so your insurance SHOULD cover it...

Betheny, I hope your new coverage pays once you get insurance again...sorry ya had a pharmacist lie to you about the cost b4 filling it...BAH! no, it's not cheap by ANY stretch of the imagination...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

My Neurologist wanted me to try Topomax once...a LONG time ago. But my PM said that he doesn't prescribe it anymore. Seems like it had something to do with Glaucoma. So, I have just never tried it. But if it helps, I would stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    cass, i'm so far behind...how's the topamax working for you? 25mg is a really really low dose....I did lose my appetite on it and have lost a ton of weight, but I needed to anyway...not everyone does tho, as others have already commented already...I hope it's working for you so far
    hey chelle, thx for asking. yes, 25mg is low because i have such a low tolerance to meds. the good news is no side effects. but, no real beneficial effects yet either...going slowly because meds are hard for me to take. so far, topamax looks promising because no side effects.

Banned

Topamax for Nerve Pain

Topamax has been GREAT for my nerve pain.. Had surgery with disk replacements - cerival spine and lumbar spine and LOTS of scar tissue; nerve damage is significant! With other meds, Topamax has kept me on my feet (with canes and walkers, but on my feet) .

Dear Anyone,
    Hi. I am new to the forum. I am a diabetic of 34 years. I am currently on an insulin pump, for the last two years. I have Diabetic Neuropathy and have been taking Neurontin 300mg III 3 x daily, totaling 2700mg, my maximum dosage I can take. I believe my body is immuned to it. I have problems with the numbness and burning in my feet more than before. I have read and heard good things about Topamax. My PA I am seeing will not start me on it because she does not know enough. So, I am doing the homework. Would I be able to dc the Neurontin and begin the Topamax right away? If so, what is a safe dosage to begin with and then how would I gradually increase it? Is there a generic of Topamax?

Thank you.
    Lovinglife