Thread: Looking to have a child T6

Looking to have a child T6

I was injured a little less than 2 years ago (T6 Complete) and now me and my wife are looking to have children. I talked with a local urologist and he recomended 2 things: vibratory stimulations, or electro ejaculation.
    His prices with out insurance were about $400 for the vibrator, or 350-400 for the electro ejaculation. I do not have any feeling below the T-7 area and do not suffer get AD. I am thinking that my best bet would to just get the electro ejaculation done and get it over with because he said he has a better success rate with it. Is this my best option?

try the vibe first and then move on to eej. But if your counts are low or poor and you end up doing ivf with icsi, do a fine needle aspiration and skip eej.

You could always adopt too ya know
    - Moody

oh if the vibe works and your counts are decent, you can try at home. Thats a giant plus and worth knowing. eej is fairly hard, even without AD. there may be other uros who will do vibe cheeper. Also your insurance *might* pay for it once or twice for diagnosis of fertility disfunction, not as fertility treatment...your first step really is to find out what is happening with your sperm and if you can ejaculate
    - Moody

Several studies indicate better quality semen and sperm is obtained with vibratory vs. electrical stim, and vibratory is simpler to do and less expensive, and there is no risk of rectal burns. You are at risk for AD and could get your first episode with either vibratory stim or electroejaculation due to the intensity of the stimulation. Most large SCI fertility programs use electroejaculation if vibratory stim has failed with at least 3 attempts.

If you don't get AD with vibratory stim and have a decent count, then you can do "do-it-yourself" IVI (intravaginal insemination) at home, or do it for IUI (intrauterine insemination) at your wife's gyn for cheaper than doing even one session of electroejaculation.

Check this out for more information on male fertility and SCI: www.scifertility.com

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    . . . If you don't get AD with vibratory stim and have a decent count, then you can do "do-it-yourself" IVI (intravaginal insemination) at home. . . .

(KLD)
    This is how my wife and I became parents of a now 9-year-old son.

I vibrostimmed, collected my sample in a clean shot glass, aspirated it into a latex-free syringe, inseminate, wait 9 months, deliver baby. What could be simpler?

Smile

"try the vibe first and then move on to eej. But if your counts are low or poor and you end up doing ivf with icsi, do a fine needle aspiration and skip eej."

The vibe didn't work for us, we ended up just going the most expensive route that gave us now two 4-year olds that rock our world!!!
    But at your level, you should be able to do vibe and do-it-yoursel procedure.

Good luck!