Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Expired Food Question

I want to third that comment OJ .... glad you are home, spoiled food or not!

I noticed I am much more careful about "iffy" food now than before. I am terrified of throwing up post sci. Realistically, how much is NOT getting sick worth to you? (even if it was only maybe)

Old crisco starts looking yellow ish. Found that at the back of the cabinet when we started remodeling. Since I haven't seen the inside of the top cabinets in 3 years, and it isn;t an item I ever used a lot of, it had been there a while. Same for the "pantry" in the basement. I think we have finally gotten rid of everything, but every once in a while we find stuff that I put down there myself ..... since I can't manage the stairs that is at least 3 years.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks for the good wishes rfbdorf, quadvet, and sjean. Unfortunately I am not exactly home yet. That was just an overnight thing. But it was definately a step forward and I am closer to getting home for good.

Also thanks for all the other replies in this thread. I actually learned a lot about food and expiration dates from the posts here.

As for my own expired food, it did all get thrown out. All except for a 2-month-past-the-best before-date Pop Tart my brother ate in defiance to prove his belief the expiry dates are meaningless. We will see what happens to him...

Definately not worth the health risk to keep the food, I agree.

OJ, Poptarts aren't "real" food anyway. Mostly just chemicals made to resemble a food taste. Your brother will be fine in the short term

Naw, don;t think there is enough foor in pop tarts to spoil, LOL.

Reminds me of when my son was in boyscouts. When they went camping, the boys would plan their own meals. One boy didn;t like to bother to cook. He always planned pop tarts and mountain dew for all his meals! (Bet he didn;t sleep either! )
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Naw, don;t think there is enough foor in pop tarts to spoil, LOL.

Reminds me of when my son was in boyscouts. When they went camping, the boys would plan their own meals. One boy didn;t like to bother to cook. He always planned pop tarts and mountain dew for all his meals! (Bet he didn;t sleep either! )
    Eileen and sjean I think you are right that the actual "food" content in pop tarts is negligible lol. I have to confess though, pop tarts constitute one of my basic food groups

The story about camping made me smile. It sounds very much like my first year or so away from home. I pretty much existed on pop tarts, cup of noodles, and cafe lattes. I have to wonder how I got any nutrients at all