Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expired Food Question

Expired Food Question

This is a stupid and kind of bizarre question but I can't find an reliable answer anywhere.

If you had a bottle of salad dressing in your refridgerator and it has expired 10 months ago--but had not yet been opened, is it safe to eat? What about something like a can of condensed tomato soup?

Thanks in advance if anybody has any knowledge or opinions about this
    Last edited by orangejello; 03-25-2008 at 07:24 PM.

You really should throw it out even though it's unopened. All food with the singular exception of honey will go bad someday even if it's packaged. Toss it cuz if it expired 10 months ago it was probably bottled/canned more like 5 years ago.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Save yourself a trip to a hospital. Anything that contains eggs for an ingrediant that goes beyond the exp. date, don't touch.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    This is a stupid and kind of bizarre question but I can't find an answer anywhere.

If you had a bottle of salad dressing in your refridgerator and it has expired 10 months ago--but had not yet been opened, is it safe to eat?

Thanks in advance if anybody has any knowledge or opinions about this
    No advice, but an un-researched opinion backed by zero fact. I'd eat it in a minute if I used salad dressing. But I'm a fool.

Why has an unopened jar of salad dressing been refrigerated?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom92
    Save yourself a trip to a hospital. Anything that contains eggs for an ingrediant that goes beyond the exp. date, don't touch.
    I concur with that notion. I had a second surgery to bridge some vertebrae and my mother was helping me at the time with cooking. I asked her explicitly to dump whatever was in the fridge that was outdated simply because I did not want any health ramifications. I love my mother, but wow, she still ended up cooking some eggs that were past the expiration date and they hit my stomach fairly hard. Recent sutures and dry heaving are not a good combination.

BTW - Is this like mayonnaise or like "Ranch", "Russian", etc.? Spoiled food usually looks or smells weird. I'm addressing this strictly as an interesting question. Obviously, if you have concerns or doubts, toss it - a few bucks isn't worth a health risk.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Thank you for the replies everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    No advice, but an un-researched opinion backed by zero fact. I'd eat it in a minute if I used salad dressing. But I'm a fool.

Why has an unopened jar of salad dressing been refrigerated?
    That is an excellent question Foolish Old

And one that didn't occur to me until you pointed it out. This should give some insight into my food/cooking knowledge and abilities

I am going to speculate that it was just put away in there one day, when somebody gave me a bunch of food for free, with the assumption that it was going to be used soon. Although that really doesn't explain why it couldn't have gone in the cupboard which would have been more appropiate, does it? lol I honestly can't say for sure...

I don't really eat salad dressing either so it was a surprise to find it in my fridge at all. But it was there shoved to the back, unloved, unopened, and expired.

The reason for my question in general is I have been away from my apartment for a very long time. Upon returning home last night I found very little in terms of food but what I did find has all pretty much expired. A disagreement arose between two members of my family about whether the food was safe. One person said no, it should all be thrown out. The other argued the "best before" dates were just a ruse by the food industry to trick people into throwing away perfectly good food and buying more when they really didn't need to.

So I just didn't know...
    Last edited by orangejello; 03-25-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    BTW - Is this like mayonnaise or like "Ranch", "Russian", etc.? Spoiled food usually looks or smells weird. I'm addressing this strictly as an interesting question. Obviously, if you have concerns or doubts, toss it - a few bucks isn't worth a health risk.
    I believe it was Zesty Italian...

I am going to throw it all out. It is maybe $15 of food (if that) and like you say not worth the health risk.

I may have to start another thread when the freezer is opened...lord knows what could be in there

A lot of those expiration dates have nothing really to do with the food as much as it does with the possible leaching of chemicals from the container the food is packaged in. Plastic salad dressing, for example, and even the liner in tin cans. It's also a great way for companies to keep the profits up. Still, I agree with you, it's not worth the risk and then finding out it was a mistake. Like we don't have enough bowel trouble

I vote for eat it now shit it later.
    Go Georgia Bulldogs