Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Heartwrenching News Story

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    So anytime anyone suffers - and who defines the level of suffering? - a contract is null and void? I appreciate the idealism but NO-ONE would offer healthcare insurance if that were the reality.

I agree that the actions of sticking to the letter of the contract were not compassionate, it's why I agreed with the alternative compassionate route.
    Yes. If not nullified, at least negotiable. And it is simple to understand suffering if we measure our actions according to benefit and harm. For instance: Who benefits more from $400,000? An impoverished family with mounting medical bills, or a billion dollar profit corporation? Who suffers more from the loss of that $400,000?

And I agree that the culprit in this case is, in part, the profit based, privatized healthcare in the United States. Healthcare is a human right, one we sadly deny to those who need it most and reward to those fortunate few who horde the world's wealth.

What good are we as a civilization if, even in this age of great prosperity, we remain so unwilling to care for the least among us?
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa
    What good are we as a civilization if, even in this age of great prosperity, we remain so unwilling to care for the least among us?
    I agree. I'd rather live in that world, I just don't.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    So anytime anyone suffers - and who defines the level of suffering? - a contract is null and void?
    No, but some contracts should be rewritten with at least some of the focus shifted away from sheer profit margins to include a more ethical view of the community in general.

There is nothing wrong with people making a profit and there is nothing wrong with some making substantial profits, it just shouldn't be to the direct detriment of others. And, obviously, that line is one open for discussion, but to prove the point, I would use an extreme example. Slave labor is always wrong. One person or group should not be allowed to profit off the very lives of others.

I'm not claiming that Wal-Mart is quite that bad, but I do firmly believe that the way they treat their employees and how they approach doing business in various communities needs to be seriously reevaluated.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    No, but some contracts should be rewritten with at least some of the focus shifted away from sheer profit margins to include a more ethical view of the community in general.

There is nothing wrong with people making a profit and there is nothing wrong with some making substantial profits, it just shouldn't be to the direct detriment of others. And, obviously, that line is one open for discussion, but to prove the point, I would use an extreme example. Slave labor is always wrong. One person or group should not be allowed to profit off the very lives of others.

I'm not claiming that Wal-Mart is quite that bad, but I do firmly believe that the way they treat their employees and how they approach doing business in various communities needs to be seriously reevaluated.

C.
    I completely agree. I'm not supporting Wal-Mart per se, just pointing out the legal issues with ignoring or completely changing a contract retrospectively.

Going forward, I hope this case does make Wal-Mart re-evaluate.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."