Thread: Christopher Reeve to Be Honored For Helping Kids at Children's Miracle Awards

Christopher Reeve to Be Honored For Helping Kids at Children's Miracle Awards

Christopher Reeve to Be Honored For Helping Kids at Children's Miracle Awards

Nationally Televised Awards Gala Hosted By ESPN's Dan Patrick Will Recognize

Reeve For Demonstrating 'Long-standing Commitment To Children'

SALT LAKE CITY, March 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Christopher Reeve's most famous acting role inspired a generation of children. His most heartfelt work may someday allow untold generations of children with spinal cord injuries to walk again. And for that, Children's Miracle Network announced today it will honor him with the Children's Miracle Achievement Award at its third annual event next month in Orlando.

The Children's Miracle Awards presented by Delta Air Lines, a televised gala hosted by ESPN's Dan Patrick, will take place Saturday, March 22, 2003 (scheduled to air first weekend in June on a syndicated network of 200 stations throughout the United States and Canada).

According to Children's Miracle Network president and CEO, Mick Shannon, Reeve has demonstrated a long-standing commitment to children and has contributed in many ways to bettering the lives of children everywhere. "For children with paralysis caused by spinal cord injuries and central nervous system disorders, Christopher Reeve is breaking down barriers and opening a new world of possibilities," said Shannon. "Through the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation (CRPF), he is working to create a better life for the estimated 25,000 U.S. children with spinal cord injuries and thousands more with paralysis from other causes," he said. "His example, as well as his foundation, offers hope, support and resources for these children and their families."

Paralyzed in a 1995 horseback-riding accident, Reeve has testified before Congress and worked with lawmakers at many levels to encourage additional research aimed at finding cures and repairing spinal cord damage. His lobbying efforts, optimism and public presence have helped to increase funding for the National Institutes of Health, establish the Reeve Irvine Research Center at the UCI College of Medicine, and create new state legislation supporting spinal cord injury research.

Beyond the scope of medical issues, Reeve's activism for children, which pre-dates his spinal cord injury in 1995, includes involvement with Save the Children in their efforts to prevent famine, fight AIDS, protect children affected by war, and combat child poverty in the United States and throughout the world. He also serves on the boards of T.E.A.M. Sports, a group that supports young athletes with disabilities; and LIFE (Leaders in Furthering Education), a non-profit that grants scholarships to service-oriented teens and provides opportunities for children living with poverty or special needs.

The title of Reeve's latest book, "Nothing is Impossible," is not only his mantra, but a message to every child as well.

Reeve studied at The Julliard School and made his Broadway debut in 1976. His film credits include "Superman," "Somewhere in Time," and the Oscar-nominated "Remains of the Day." His directorial debut in 1997 was HBO's "In the Gloaming," which was nominated for five Emmys and won six Cable Ace Awards including Best Director. Reeve's autobiography, "Still Me," was a New York Times Bestseller.

Past Delta Miracle Award recipients include Entertainment Tonight's Mary Hart, entertainment exec Roy Disney, actor Edward James Olmos, singer Marilyn McCoo, and sports figures Jackie Joyner Kersey, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Merlin Olsen.

About Children's Miracle Network

Located in Salt Lake City, Utah, Children's Miracle Network is an international non-profit organization dedicated to helping children by raising funds and awareness for 170 children's hospitals throughout North America. Each year these non-profit hospitals treat more than 17 million children afflicted with diseases, injuries and birth defects of every kind. For more information, visit them on the web at www.cmn.org .

About Delta Air Lines

Delta Air Lines, the world's second largest airline in terms of passengers carried and the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic, offers 5,643 flights each day to 438 destinations in 78 countries on Delta, Delta Express, Delta Shuttle, Delta Connection and Delta's worldwide partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. For more information, please go to delta.com .

For further information, please contact: Roger Cook, Director, Public Relations of Children's Miracle Network, +1-801-278-8900, rcook@cmn.org

Comments incl. SPAM Delta Airlines

"Reeve has (...) has contributed in many ways to bettering the lives of children everywhere." (...)
    "Through the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation (CRPF), he is working to create a better life for the estimated 25,000 U.S. children"

There is a difference between "U.S." and "everywhere".
    Literally everywhere might not even be possible these days.

"For children with paralysis caused by spinal cord injuries and central nervous system disorders," Be careful not to confuse too far also orders there with "dis"orders.
    In Westie "science" I saw orders more often called "disorders" than I bothered to count.

There can be special complex orders in the wake of brain damages following, there erratically just seeming to be called "disorders" because it being differing than with non-damaged.
    The refusal to acknowledge special orders can go up to health costs. Also of many children.

With the part about him opening new possibilties and encouraging additional research aimed at finding cures and repairing spinal cord damage,
    there are sure levels where he doesn't.

"The title of Reeve's latest book, "Nothing is Impossible," is not only his mantra, but a message to every child as well."

And one that I find highly wrong.
    His irrealism I regard to go at his systems' cost, particularily the left damaged, and the progress of the right damaged.
    I do not find that irrealism at systems costs something to be a good message to children.

I have been brain damaged from birth on, so not like I can't judge a brain damaged childhood at all. Maybe on some levels better than him, as he was adult long when he got brain damaged.

Many brain damaged children suffer from those who do not accept brain damaged systems as that. On a level he does not even seem to accept his own as that.
    He seems to fight injured systems more like his enemies, than care well about them.
    Which IMO is costing them, and in wake effects him, a very high price.

And is not a good attitude to teach to brain-damaged children to do.

His irrealism can be already noticed by New Year after New Year proclaiming irrealistic by the end of the year walking stuff.
    As if he ain't care shit what it does to the damaged, and that even on the stronger right side the damaged are not even far enough yet for the right arm for more serious.
    While them are not, he straight seems to wish to overcharge the way more damaged left with spinal stuff all the spine up&down from leg stuff to do with walking.
    He is so brutal in attitudes to his damaged systems, and cares so little about what it does to them, that I do not regard that a good attitude to have to damaged systems.

More one to warn others about.

Apart from all Nothing is Impossible, he still did not even get the right arm in.
    However I don't exclude he might have, had he started more systems responsible years ago with way more wise approaches to that. The right injured are not as damaged as the left.

About the "Still Me", I never did nor dared to tune for a picture from before of him, but don't exclude the right-left differences made some changes even to his self in sides balances. And also that there were other differences since then.

The Delta spam that followed I found highly out of place here.
    This forum is not a "download your spam here" forum.
    My opinions on that airline have gone down because of spamming here.