Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: how does this "9 month work trial period work with ssdi?

Addie, Make sure that you are keeping track of the expenses that allow you to work, they are subtracted from what you make to determine if it is sga.

Scroll down to
    Impairment-Related Work Expenses (IRWE) (SSDI and SSI eligible)

here

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redboo...supports.htm#5

mileage, medical supplies (includes catheters ....), and pca help are all included.

It doesn;t seem like it is fair the way it works tho. For example if in april you earn $930. you end up with a total of $930 + your SSDI check. In may you earn $10 more ($940) and BAM, no ssdi check, total = $940. It should be similar to the way they calculate it for people collecting retirement and working, where the ss check is lowered based on what you make. You do keep medicare for a while tho'.
    Last edited by sjean423; 05-05-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I'm so sad. I hate being the barer of bad news.

I live at work, there are no expenses. I work part time. I make about 1200 a month. I do not have the option to go full time due to other situations. The judge here thinks otherwise and sets my pay at a higher rate than I get (which includes my ssdi) so I can't even get more child support. I get 162 a month for that. I'm beginning to wonder why I try.
    I would have made over 50000 the year I wrecked.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels

I'm so sad. I hate being the barer of bad news.
    No worries I'm glad I know now rather than after I moved.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    I live at work, there are no expenses. I work part time. I make about 1200 a month. I do not have the option to go full time due to other situations. The judge here thinks otherwise and sets my pay at a higher rate than I get (which includes my ssdi) so I can't even get more child support. I get 162 a month for that. I'm beginning to wonder why I try.
    I would have made over 50000 the year I wrecked.
    Addie is there no way you could get an increase in child support $162 per month is risible!

This is a very small town which limits my options to work. Not going into a lot of detail but he said I was purposely underemploying myself to get chhild support and I could "sit" in my chair forty hours at a job as well as 20. I figured it and childcare, gas, not getting home until 7 at night due to long commutes won't cut it. I thought I was lucky I had a part time job close by paying 13 and hour.
    My ex father in law was the judges football coach and my ex husband played football with this judge. I don't have a chance. then I'd have to come up with more money to pay a lawyer. I still owe my lawyer from the first trip to court. I can't move because my ex got it in the parenting plan they have to stay in the school they are in. I have no family here to help with daycare. I moved here to marry that dummy. My closest relative is four hours.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    This is a very small town which limits my options to work. Not going into a lot of detail but he said I was purposely underemploying myself to get chhild support and I could "sit" in my chair forty hours at a job as well as 20. I figured it and childcare, gas, not getting home until 7 at night due to long commutes won't cut it. I thought I was lucky I had a part time job close by paying 13 and hour.
    My ex father in law was the judges football coach and my ex husband played football with this judge. I don't have a chance. then I'd have to come up with more money to pay a lawyer. I still owe my lawyer from the first trip to court. I can't move because my ex got it in the parenting plan they have to stay in the school they are in. I have no family here to help with daycare. I moved here to marry that dummy. My closest relative is four hours.
    It has been my experience and the experience of several people I know that you can move away, even if that is in the agreement that you cannot, if you get a job that you couldn't get where you are. If you got a job near your family and got yourself a good lawyer. You might be able to move. You might want to get a free consultation with a good lawyer (get a referral) the next time that you visit your family. Talk to a lawyer near your family and tell him what you told us and see what someone who is not in bed with that judge thinks. It can't hurt to try and most attorney's will talk with you for free.

This is bad addie, sorry it is working out this way for you. You would actually be better off financially working fewer hours, to keep you pay under the $940, and I know that wasn't the goal. Added to the issue you mentioned earlier that your ssdi is lower than some since you spent time home with your kids. (I did the same).
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

C,

Your situation sucks...really sucks. I understand truly because I have been where you are except I couldnt get any child support at all and my daughter got $6.00 a month from social security. IT IS NOT FAIR!!!!!

I also wanted to comment on phase three to Mona on Wheels... I am assuming this is the five years you have to file expedited reinstatement of your benefits. I have been there and done that too. You have to fill out a new application and an Expedited Reinstatement application simultaneously. My new application was approved quicker than the Expedited Reinstatement. With ER, they give you 6 months of benefits with no requirement to pay it back while they decide if your disabled. You have to have the same impairment or a complication of the impairment.

I literally had to call my congressman and his office had to handle my expedited reinstatement to get my benefits started again. It is a pain in the ass!!!

C, you would be better off keeping your benefits and making your $939 a month. They should fire "buddy judges" such as the one you are dealing with or they should not allow them to sit on cases they have a conflict of interest in.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

My ex father in law was the judges football coach and my ex husband played football with this judge. I don't have a chance.
    Unless you are already certain, don't assume the outcome of trying to get a more fair amount of child support. An old team mate may be exactly the right person to give your ex-husband a lesson in responsibility.

Good Luck...

Joe