Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: should i file taxes if im para on ssdi?

I didn't know people whose sole income is from SSDI will get any stimulus money. I know when I was strictly on SSDI years ago when first injured, I didn't have to file. I don't believe that if you get all of your income from SSDI that you're eligible for a stimulus check...if I'm wrong, then please correct me so I'm not posting erroneous info.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I filed mine free online.
    I'm getting $300 for Christmas gifts

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    I didn't know people whose sole income is from SSDI will get any stimulus money. I know when I was strictly on SSDI years ago when first injured, I didn't have to file. I don't believe that if you get all of your income from SSDI that you're eligible for a stimulus check...if I'm wrong, then please correct me so I'm not posting erroneous info.
    You are wrong about this. As long as you get at least $3000 of income for the year, even if it is from SSDI and you cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return then you qualify for $300 ($600 if married filing jointly) and $300 for each qualifying child. You should be getting something in the mail about this from the IRS any day now.

Yeppers...I normally don't file, but the family keeps a tax person and she says I'll get money...

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie
    You are wrong about this. As long as you get at least $3000 of income for the year, even if it is from SSDI and you cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return then you qualify for $300 ($600 if married filing jointly) and $300 for each qualifying child. You should be getting something in the mail about this from the IRS any day now.
    The form I got said social security cannot be your only income to get the stimulus check. I read it as needing $3000 of income other then SSDI is needed.

Try this link. This one too.
    Last edited by ginamarie; 03-25-2008 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by november
    Sooner or later the IRS will catch up with a person, especially if they aren't filing or filing falsely. Red flags will go up.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Social Security Retirement and Disability counts, bus SSI does not. Irs Link

(It is pretty clear in the first page of the Package, linked inside the quote as well). Or just plug your figures into the calculator in Gina's first link.

Economic Stimulus Payments: Information for Recipients of Social Security Benefits

Updated March 12, 2008
    This section is for people who receive Social Security retirement or disability benefits. The IRS and Treasury will be working closely with the Social Security Administration to ensure that all eligible individuals know what to do to receive a stimulus payment.
    Normally, certain Social Security payments are not subject to income tax. However, the economic stimulus law passed in February contains a special provision allowing Social Security recipients to count those benefits toward the qualifying income requirement of $3,000 and thereby qualify for the stimulus payment.
    For eligible Social Security recipients who do not normally file a tax return, the IRS has prepared an 8-page informational package that provides instructions, a sample Form 1040A and a blank Form 1040A — everything needed to file the tax form today. See eligibility requirements below.Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment.
    Gina, your second link doesn't work.
    Last edited by sjean423; 03-25-2008 at 12:09 AM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Social Security Retirement and Disability counts, bus SSI does not. Irs Link

(It is pretty clear in the first page of the Package, linked inside the quote as well). Or just plug your figures into the calculator in Gina's first link.

Gina, your second link doesn't work.
    Thanks, I fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie
    Thanks, I fixed it.
    LOL, your second link was what I posted. Even when it didn;t work I found it,
    T7-8 since Feb 2005