Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should i file taxes if im para on ssdi?

should i file taxes if im para on ssdi?

will i get a return? Dont kow how the system works? i havnt filed since my injury. Been at lest 3 yars now. My income is ssdi only since injury.
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

barondit,

Yes you should file anyway, even though you don;t expect to have to pay or get a refund. The IRS "economic stimulus payments" will only be available to people who file.

You won't get a tax REFUND though if you haven;t had taxes deducted from your checks. And if SSDI is your only income, it isn;t likely to be taxable, so you won;t owe anything either.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Yes, by all means get your hands on the tax stimulus money, which can only be done by filing even though you won't owe anything probably.

I think i might owe though i fucked up one year and claimed 9 dependants.... i (thought) i needed every penny that year. Then i worked a couple normal years. this is all probably to long ago to go back and claim on anyway.5-6 yeays ago. is there a way to ind out if owe withut filing? Yea that tax credit thing sounds cool , although i wont get a penny of it. it WILL go to my daughter for some back child support though. which i can deal with and wil help me financialy .......................one day.If i owe though "they" the govt.) will just take it right?

Quote Originally Posted by barondidit
    I think i might owe though i fucked up one year and claimed 9 dependants.... i (thought) i needed every penny that year. Then i worked a couple normal years. this is all probably to long ago to go back and claim on anyway.5-6 yeays ago. is there a way to ind out if owe withut filing? Yea that tax credit thing sounds cool , although i wont get a penny of it. it WILL go to my daughter for some back child support though. which i can deal with and wil help me financialy .......................one day.If i owe though "they" the govt.) will just take it right?
    If you're being garnished by the state for child support, yup, that stimulus check will go to that. Keep records! If you get auditted for any of the last 3 years and there is 1 boo boo the IRS can look back pretty much as far as they want. Nine dependents?

You can fill out the tax form and that will tell if you owe this past year. If you owe more than $600 as a single person then the $600 stimulus check comes out first and then the state gets 2nd dibs for your daughter. My guess, and I am not a tax expert, is that if you file to get the stimulus payment soon after you will get a note from the IRS if you do owe them money from way back also. That can be negotiated down to $0 with the right technique because of extenuating circumstances.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sooner or later the IRS will catch up with a person, especially if they aren't filing or filing falsely. Red flags will go up.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Thanks for the reminder & for the link!
    You can file it online & free
    if your income isn't over a certain amount.

Thanks!

Mona

i did that ONE year. It was a mistake. WHen i filed taxes they said i owed a couple k. Didnt have it. The next few years i claimed no dependants and didnt claim taxes. Those years i did the right thing probably made up for whati owed. since i didnt file, i guess they wee happy with thatwhich is why i was not audited.
    soooooo how do i get the amount down to zero because of circumstances??

See a tax attorney. They can help you settle up and get right with the IRS. Do it now before they find you out. You will need to do it anyway if you are planning to go back to work as you say you do. If you are really low income check into a local legal aid clinic (many law schools sponsor them).

(KLD)

tax attorney can help. But first try to use the advocate srevice with in the IRS. I have had clients who ended up owing nothing after dealing with them.

http://www.irs.gov/advocate/index.html
    The service is free, confidential, tailored to meet your needs, and is available for businesses as well as individuals. There is at least one Local Taxpayer Advocate in each state, as well as in Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. Because they are part of the IRS, Advocates know the tax system and how to navigate it. If you qualify, you will receive personalized service from a knowledgeable Advocate who will:
    • Listen to your situation,
    • Help you understand what needs to be done to resolve it, and
    • Stay with you every step of the way until your problem is resolved.
    Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service.

here is what they say on the stimulus checks:
    Q. I'm eligible for a payment but I still owe federal income tax from a prior year. Will my payment be reduced?
    A. Yes. For this purpose, the stimulus payment is treated like any other tax refund. This means that part or all of your payment can be used to pay past-due federal or state income taxes or non-tax federal debt such as student loans and child support. If this occurs, you will receive a letter explaining how the stimulus payment was applied.
    Deborah