Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Handicap Parking Stories...

Crazy Handicap Parking Stories...

After reading the "She took my chair" thread, I thought we need a thread for handicap parking stories. If nothing else, we should get a good laugh from some of these stories.

Story 1: When we lived in Albuquerque, my wife and I were coming into our apartment complex and saw someone parked in a hc spot unloading her groceries. When I ask if she knew she was parked in a hc spot, she said she wasn't about to walk all that way (3 spots down) to unload her groceries. I said I unstood, but if the police came by they could write her a ticket. She then screams at me, "Well, your crippled!" All I could do was laugh at her.

Story 2: This weekend I was at a local auto parts store. When I left the hc spot, a guy in a (loud) Mustang pulled into the spot, jumps out and runs into the store. I do a loop in the parking lot and pull up in time for him and an employee coming out of the store. I asked if he knew he was parked in a hc spot and he says "Yeah, so?" I explained I didn't see his placard, again "Yeah, so?" I then explain it was illegal to park w/out said placard. It didn't seem to phase him, as he asked if I was the law. I told him no, but I could call them. His response was "If you're that f*cking handicapped, you shouldn't be driving!" I probably shouldn't have responded with "If you're that f*ching stupid, you shouldn't be out in public." Buy, I did. As he was leaving the spot, he yells back, "You should have been shot at birth!"

Ah, the finer points of SCI. Any more stories out there?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike
    Story 2: This weekend I was at a local auto parts store. When I left the hc spot, a guy in a (loud) Mustang pulled into the spot, jumps out and runs into the store. I do a loop in the parking lot and pull up in time for him and an employee coming out of the store. I asked if he knew he was parked in a hc spot and he says "Yeah, so?" I explained I didn't see his placard, again "Yeah, so?" I then explain it was illegal to park w/out said placard. It didn't seem to phase him, as he asked if I was the law. I told him no, but I could call them. His response was "If you're that f*cking handicapped, you shouldn't be driving!" I probably shouldn't have responded with "If you're that f*ching stupid, you shouldn't be out in public." Buy, I did. As he was leaving the spot, he yells back, "You should have been shot at birth!"

Ah, the finer points of SCI. Any more stories out there?
    Poor guy obviously didn't know you weren't handicapped at birth. Extending this guy's logic, (I see some, really) there should be someone delegated to ride along with the EMTs to every accident site and shoot people who look like they'll be having a major disability - if they survive. Save some money too. What a pathetic SOB.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

They're not so funny at the time tho'.. the guilty offenders are just mean. I'll take a try..

-Story 1. 2 Christmas's ago me and my sis stopped off at Toy's 'R' Us to pickup a few things. Naturally all the HC spots were taken..... but the last and in was van access. On the way past I always look to see who has tags or placards hanging in case I can chat with one. All but 2 looked good so as a just in case I told my sis to make sure a placard wasn't on the dash hidden from where I couldn't see.. there were none. So we finished our hamburger in the lot and up comes the lady, her friend and 4 kids in the spot next to my drivers side. I rolled down the window and very politely asked, ''Ma'am, could you come over her for a sec?'' She ignored my 1st request so I repeated it. She then, as she was opening her door, said, ''No, I can hear you just fine from here''. With lots of attitude. I knew no matter how nice I was, it wouldn't end good, but still had to ask why? I said, ''May I ask why you are in a HC spot and with no placard?'' Of course I got the #1 excuse, ''It's none of your business''. I stayed calm and told her, ''actually it is my business as I'm in a wheelchair...'' and my sis finished up the sentence saying ''and he may have needed that spot to park but you're parked there illegally''. So then she really surprises me in the next 2 things she says.. Screaming ''You're probably in a chair because you can't mind your business.'' I finally raised my voice telling her that it was from a motorcycle wreck. And then knowing that it just wasn't registering with her, rather the fact that she could care less, I told her the next time I'll just call the cops.. Well, I got back from her, ''FUCK YOU CRIPPLE!!!'' Over and over as she drove off with all windows rolled down. So me and my sis lowered ourselves for a bit and yelled some choice words back too.. What did she look like to those young impressionable minds? Does she care? Not likely.

-Story 2. 2 months or so ago a few of us go into the local Hooters for lunch. They have only 1 van access. HC space and it's not taken, but the hash marks are by a vehicle. Mind you, there are 6 HC spots on this side with NO vehicles except the hash marker. Of course, no tag or placard, but maybe that's what they think is required to take up the hashes. So I ask our waittress does anyone here drive the blue Escape in the HC spot? She said yup, the manager does. The manager? The waittress said she just parked there in a hurry as she was late for some meeting and was carrying something in. Could you have her come over please? A few mins later it still hasn't moved so I asked again. The waittress said that she told her and she'd move. 15 now have passed and I'm getting agitated so my buddy goes over to the window and finally she's moving 2 spots down, to a legal spot. Howcome this wasn't done in the 1st place? Same distances from the door.. So I let it go from talking to her personally..

Fast forward 1 month later and we are heading to a concert and stop in to Hooters. To my non-surprise, guess what? Yup, the same Escape was there. Since I didn't get 1 on 1 time last time I didn't want to call the cops. As I rooled in I told my buddies to grab a table and I rolled up to where she was sitting with 2 employees. After all my times getting such negative situations, I'm amazed at how calm I generally stay. So I asked her if that was her Escape in the HC parking... AGAIN? She was very hesitant in saying a drawn out yes. I told her that I'm personally asking you nicely, please don't park there, it's for ppl with disabilities and you have no tag or placard. Of course she fired back with, ''I most certainly can park there''. No you can't, no you can't! She said, ''I have a placard, it's um, in the um... glovebox.'' I told her that's still in violation for ADA compliance and that it has to be hanging or in plain view on the dash. Of course 2 more girls came over to listen in.. I explained that no matter if it's in the glovebox a cop can still ticket you. Apparantly you have the $500 fine so keep it there. She then repeated, ''I'm allowed to park there and have a placard''. At this point I was done and told her great! I'm calling the cops and we'll see... all along never raising my voice. When we left, guess where her vehicle was? Out front in general population, lol. Now why would you move the vehicle and not just properly display your placard?

Now, everytime I'm in the area, I go by and take a gander.. I will call the cops and wait.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

jazzy, why the argument over the placard? NOBODY is allowed to park in the access aisle, placard, plate or none. NOBODY.

yeah, I know.. when I was talking to her, I did incorporate both violations. I typed the short version, lol. I did go into the hash marks a bit more as I drew more of a small crowd.. It was an Enquirering minds wanna' know deal.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Here is a few of mine:

#1. Whe I first got a placard, I wasn't driving myself, so I would take it with me whe my friend or a family member shopped. One snowy evening we went to a outlet store and luckly found 1 spot pretty near the door. As we were sitting there, tring to get my coat and things ready so I could get out, this guy is getting in the car next to us. He looked to be around 60-65 in age. He tossed all of his heavy looking bags in the car, leaving the cart next to my door. Then he saw me. He comes over and starts YELLING at us! What did I do? I was just buttoning my coat!
    Well I guess he thought that in our state, you only get placards if you are OLD! I roll down the window and tell him I have a wheelchair. He tells me you HAVE to be a senior citizen to park there or REALLY disabled. Not just happen to have a chair.WTF?? Oh, yeah, I was 8 months pregnant. So he goes on to say I was PLAYING up because of being PG. Hormones kick in, I cry. My friend- she was getting my chair out of the trunk, and she came over and told him in DETAIL about me. He finally shut up. But she wasn't done. SHE said "I saw you walking fast to your car, throwing big bags in your trunk, so why do YOU need a placard???" The old guy actually said "F U, I'm old, and am entitled"
    2#. I park at the back of store parking lots just so I don't get blocked. One day I parked in a empty section of the lot were i work. No other cars in the whole place. It was a hot day, luckily there was a bit of shade by 1 small tree. So just in case, I parked slightly over the line so I could get my lift down. (the tree was next to that space) Later when I came out, there was a little red sports car wedged in the space! The rest of the lot still empty! So I tracked the idiot down. I explained I couldn't get in my car, he asked if I would like him to move it. I very nicely said yes. SO we got out to the lot, and the guys holds his hand out for MY keys. He didn't want to move his car out into the sun, he want to move MY van over!
    So, I let him, but as he unlocked the door, I ask if he could use handcontrols.He couldn't, so I said he would just have to move his. (he bought it) Then he commented that there was handicap parking in the other lot. It was packed. I told him I don't park there because customers need those 2 spots for the 4 stoeres there, and I work there.
    The stupid thing is, this guy did this to me more than once!

3#. someone was picking up from shopping, and had my placard. She pulls into a HC spot to do so and gets out to stand by the trunk. I come out of the store to find her arguing with the 'mall police' - He was writting her up! I come out, waiting with a full cart of stuff, so she can get it. I wait, and wait, he won't let her come!So this nice guy gets my cart down the cut for me,and we go over. The mall cop states she can't use the spot unless she, the driver, needs it. The stranger calls the cop a few names. they get into it.(we load up and take off, they are still arguing)
    4# i took cab to a job interveiw on our local military base. I sit in the front seat because I couldn't get in the back. We we get there, there is a check in station. The cabby pull into a parking spot inside the gate to check in and get a base pass. He goes over to the guard post to do this as I melt in the car, it had to be iin the 90's that day, and he took his keys. After about half an hour, I'm really getting worried. Finally a MP comes over, notices me, and there is a towtruck driver with him. Seems that my cabby, who worked with the largest cab company in town, a a illegal, and had his fake drivers license suspended for DUI. They had taken him in, key and all. So they jimmed the truck, got my chair, and got me out. I had to wheel a 1/2 mile to the interview, was a hour late, didn't get the job. Then the wheel all the way back to the guard post, call the cab co. and they refused to pick me up! The MP's took me home. I later called the cab co. to complain, they said it wasn't there fault.
    Deborah

I don't have a story yet I mean I see people all the time parking in HC spots that are NOT. But what pisses me off is when you get some BIG FATASS that has one when probably 99 percent have eaten there way there.they could stop before getting that big, Being fat should not be a handicap!

It seems people are very good around here as I have not seen cars without tags in the HC spots. One time at the doctor the spots were all full and I had to park in normal parking, of course someone parked real close to me when I was in the office. After looking at the situation I was able to get in the hatch of my car since the door was to blocked in. It took me a half an hour to get the chair all in and climb around. I won't do that again!

Quote Originally Posted by duge
    I don't have a story yet I mean I see people all the time parking in HC spots that are NOT. But what pisses me off is when you get some BIG FATASS that has one when probably 99 percent have eaten there way there.they could stop before getting that big, Being fat should not be a handicap!
    Well, sometimes you can be a fatass and be disabled. Look at me,LOL. maybe thats why I get bitched at...they think the chair means I'm just lazy. but no...I had a big butt before, it's just flat and wide now...just when J-Lo made it ok to have a big booty. shoot. (maybe inplants...damn I got off subject didn't I?)
    Deborah

I always get the strange looks when I hop out of the car in the HC spot and run to the trunk. Then when I start pulling out the wheelchair for my husband I get the "approving smile."

A couple of weeks ago, I was at Target with my two little girls 5 & 6. Rob was not with us so we of course we were parked in "regular" parking. As we were walking through the parking lot an older couple jumped out of a huge F350 parked in a HC spot (no placard) and were walking just as fast as we were into the store. As we got into the store, my 6 year old said very loudly, "They don't looked handicapped, why did they park in HC parking?" The guy turned and gave her a dirty look. She continues in her overly loud voice "Daddy needs those spots b/c he's in a wheelchair and sometimes he can't find a spot to park."

She was just talking to me not trying to embarrass anyone but hopefully they were embarrassed just a little. My girls have become the HC parking police. They continue to embarrass one violator at a time.