Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Service Dog

Jen,
    What great pictures! She sounds like she is doing do well. I needed her here last night. I was all settled in bed, turned out the light, and realized the hall light was on! I'll have to see if I can teach my (very smart and beautiful but not a service dog) dog that one!

(ps .... we have the same floor. lol)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

do you find that people are afraid of your dog when you are out because of the breed?

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Jen,
    What great pictures! She sounds like she is doing do well. I needed her here last night. I was all settled in bed, turned out the light, and realized the hall light was on! I'll have to see if I can teach my (very smart and beautiful but not a service dog) dog that one!

(ps .... we have the same floor. lol)
    I LOVE my slate floor! Easy to clean; even easier to roll on and best of all "Pearl - proof" LOL

Start by teaching your dog to touch your hand then transfer that to touching a laser light then you can get her to touch almost anything!
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

mimin, another reason to move back to the states!

Absolutely gorgeous dog. Thanks for showing us the pictures.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

She is a beautiful dog. The town I live in is almost militant about accommodating the disabled, but I dont see too many service dogs around. I could use one to help with dropped objects too. Oh, how I miss my opposable thumbs! lol!
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

JenJen, do you find that having a service pooch also helps you avoid the "all those pretty pills" times?

Reggie ruptured an AC ligament that required surgery and no exercise except to potty for 2 weeks than very gradually increasing walks over 2 months. Seeing her in pain about killed me. I hope your pup's leg heals without surgery.

Mimin, try searching for Assitance Dogs International to see how Israel handles service dogs. The creator of CCI now works towards worldwide standards for service dogs.

SJ, you can start training your dog yourself if, depending on breed, before 3. Get a service dog in training cape and order a couple DVDs from TOP DOG and get her done. :-)
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    do you find that people are afraid of your dog when you are out because of the breed?
    Good question. Some ppl are afraid of just the sight of her. Once they see her in action, they calm down. Ppl are less afraid of her when she's in her vest for some reason.

Quite frankly, and I know some ppl will be very angry to have me say this; I don't mind at all that the sight of her gives ppl pause. Last summer a SCI friend in Ohio was mugged. He was knocked out of his chair and it rolled away in a parking lot. The hot asphalt caused full thickness burns and the complications nearly cost him his life. I think bad guys will steer clear from my dobie.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton

SJ, you can start training your dog yourself if, depending on breed, before 3. Get a service dog in training cape and order a couple DVDs from TOP DOG and get her done. :-)
    She's 9, so we have decided just to try and teach her a couple of extras. She is a lab, so definitely trainable as a service dog, just getting old I have the books Top DOg publishes, just haven't read them thoroughly yet. The lazer pointer is a great idea, she already likes to chase it. At some point, when we get another dog, I plan to train from the start.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Nice pictures. Dobermans are one of my favorite breeds. We had a red one named Fritz when I was a kid. If I find a picture, I'll scan and post it.

Dobermans seem like an awesome attendant dog in that nobody's gonna try to mess with you no matter how friendly the dog may be. There are a great working dog.

We now have a black lab and a mutt, both around the 10 year mark. If something were to happen to one of them I might consider another dobe.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into it.

As for dogs being babe magnets, I'm the "babe" who goes to the park to be magnetized but I never know what to do! I watch the dog and try to smile (though that feels so awkward to me) or sometimes I'll say 'cute dog', but no luck!