Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: c5 chair to bed transfer

kld is correct im very inc. my point was triceps r not needed to transfer.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

lol, i lost most of mine last year

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Shaun and fuente, have anti-tip bellys.... Mine just makes me fall faster.

A freind of mine, C5, very little right wrist, no left, transfers but hes 30ish yrs post, and has hell now with his shoulders.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Does anyone use a lift to get from chair to bed or bed to chair? I have read that some of yall use slide boards but nobody has mentioned using a lift. My boyfriend is a c5 complete and thats what we use to get him moved around, I have always used the lift to move him so i dont know if the slide board is harder or about the same. I know that if your lower then him then you probly dont need a lift to get moved. But i was just wondering about the people who do have high injuries if they use lifts or slideboards.

what means a lift?i always need to persons to transfer me.one is grabing me from my back [arms up]and the second person grabs my legs.....
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by DLane
    Does anyone use a lift to get from chair to bed or bed to chair? I have read that some of yall use slide boards but nobody has mentioned using a lift. My boyfriend is a c5 complete and thats what we use to get him moved around, I have always used the lift to move him so i dont know if the slide board is harder or about the same. I know that if your lower then him then you probly dont need a lift to get moved. But i was just wondering about the people who do have high injuries if they use lifts or slideboards.
    c-7 and I use a lift.

Whenever possible we recommend the use of a mechanical lift if a person cannot do at least half the effort of an assisted transfer. Downside is that they are difficult to use for car transfers, when a slide board and maximal assistance may be more practical for travel. We use a gait belt for this as well.

At our hospital the use of a lift is REQUIRED for all staff under such circumstances due to high rates of staff injury with heavy dependent transfers that have been proven to be unsafe (such as "quad pivot" or 2 person lift transfers).

(KLD)

I have one too. Soon to get a track lift.

He has a Guldman lift, its electric. I'm glad that he has a lift becasue hes a lot bigger then me so it would be a lot harder. We do use a slide board if he transfers from one chair to another and that takes 3 of us to do it. And i really dont trust his aide to use a slideboard, he would probably end up on the floor.

I use a Guldman track lift. At least, at home. For travel I use a Molift, which is also electric.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

I'm a C-5/6 and I'm nowhere near transferring on my own. We use an Invacare Hoyer lift and they sling that comes out from underneath me to get me in and out of bed. I just stay in my chair in the van
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.