Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone else have this problem?

Of people (mostly extended family, friends of the family types) speaking to you and/or about you like you’re an absolute child?

“That is so awesome, Billy! I could never write a book!”

“I heard you moved a toe. That is awesome.” (I’m not kidding)

“You can do press-ups from your chair? That’s great.”

“You can do your own transfers? Wow.”

Every menial task, I feel like I’m being petted on the head like a five year-old (and I know I’ve read here about some of you literally being petted, luckily I don’t have that problem). But I’m not five, I’m twenty-seven.

When I say speaking about me, I mean right in front of me, like you do with a kid like they’re not even in the room because they’re not paying any attention to what’s going on. It’s not like they’re sharing private information, it’s just the whole tone of everything. Even my writing mentor/cheerleader person, who actually does speak directly to me like a normal adult, when our meetings are over and if my dad’s in the room, she’ll say to him, “He’s such a smart young man.”

It drives me crazy. I know these people love me and are trying to accentuate all positives, but I’m not in the acute stage anymore, I’m four years out and it seems like this is what it will be like for the rest of my life.

Now that I think about it, I’m sure this is not a new topic here. I’m sure it has been discussed. But I literally have no one to vent to about this kind of thing--I don’t have a shrink (maybe I should get one)--and I know there are people here who know exactly what I’m talking about.
    Last edited by They Might Be SCI Giants; 03-21-2008 at 01:38 PM.

This rarely happens to me but when it does I just chalk it up to human nature.

People often can't grasp what you live with, they feel uncomfortable and feel the need to be encouraging or say something, anything.

I'd rather people were impressed by me than not but if it really bothers you just laugh and ask them not to patronise you. They may feel slightly awkward but they won't do it again.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I wouldn't say any of those are menial tasks. I would be ecstatic if I could do any of those things and most people can't actually write books.
    I could understand if their tone of voice bothers you but like The Rhino said, human nature.

Yeah, I definitely chalk it up to human nature and I do understand people are very uncomfortable. I'm also uncomfortable around the same people and always figured the discomfort originated from me, a vibe I was putting out.

But the weird thing is, some people are not at all uncomfortable and we communicate in the exact same way as before my injury.

Quote Originally Posted by They Might Be SCI Giants
    Of people (mostly extended family, friends of the family types) speaking to you and/or about you like you’re an absolute child?
    Total strangers will sometimes do this. For some reason, it seems to happen most regularly when I fly. I'll transfer into my seat and the flight attendant will say, "You do that so well!" As though I just performed some spectacular double handspring, backflip dismount or something. The only time my family makes comments like that is when they are teasing me about how other people sometimes talk.

Every menial task, I feel like I’m being petted on the head like a five year-old
    Physical therapists tend to do this alot, which I always hated. They really are trained to be cheerleaders though, so at least that makes sense. Like you say though, you're not in rehab. You've been doing this for a few years. People need to stop.

I’m sure this is not a new topic here. I’m sure it has been discussed. But I literally have no one to vent to about this kind of thing--I don’t have a shrink (maybe I should get one)--and I know there are people here who know exactly what I’m talking about.
    Have you not told your friends and family how annoying this is? Keeping this to yourself isn't doing you any good. It's not fair that you should have to put up with it and it's not fair to your loved ones for you not to give them the opportunity to change their behavior.

C.

Yeah, I definitely chalk it up to human nature and I do understand people are very uncomfortable. I'm also uncomfortable around the same people and always figured the discomfort originated from me, a vibe I was putting out.

But the weird thing is, some people are not at all uncomfortable and we communicate in the exact same way as before my injury.
    Those are the true friends.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

“That is so awesome, Billy! I could never write a book!”

“I heard you moved a toe. That is awesome.” (I’m not kidding)

“You can do press-ups from your chair? That’s great.”

“You can do your own transfers? Wow.”

Hold on! I'm not familiar with your situation, They Might Be SCI Giants, but moving a toe is awesome for lots of sci people, isn't it?

The only time I have been condescended to is by sales people, who often want to give my change to whoever I am with, or who start talking too loudly, just in case I have hearing loss too (they seem to think the whole body is non-functional). I just say "excuse me, that is MY change" or "I do not have a hearing loss" to get them to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    I wouldn't say any of those are menial tasks. I would be ecstatic if I could do any of those things and most people can't actually write books.
    I could understand if their tone of voice bothers you but like The Rhino said, human nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by keps
    Hold on! I'm not familiar with your situation, They Might Be SCI Giants, but moving a toe is awesome for lots of sci people, isn't it?
    First, I want apologize if it came across this way, but I did not mean to diminish anyone’s ability or inability to do anything. Believe me, I actually do feel very fortunate for the functionality I did retain--this website has helped me with that. The toe thing was quite a while ago, I quickly realized it was really my inducing a mini spasm. I do have touch sensation all the down, I can feel them (toes and spasms) and they spasm, especially in bed. So that’s what was going on. Actually, even if it had been a true wiggle, I’d almost rather not tell everyone because I know what the reaction is. Anyway, those were just the first few examples that popped in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Have you not told your friends and family how annoying this is? Keeping this to yourself isn't doing you any good. It's not fair that you should have to put up with it and it's not fair to your loved ones for you not to give them the opportunity to change their behavior.
    Honestly, it doesn’t happen enough to make a fuss over and I probably overstated it in my OP, but you know exactly how I feel, I can tell from your post.

These are people I rarely see, a few times a year at the most. And the word patronize was used earlier, but I wouldn’t call it that. Patronizing (to me) implies some sort of negative intent, or at least smugness. These people are more like the physical therapists you mentioned. They knew in the beginning I needed encouragement (although, just like you I never liked being spoken to that way). They just haven’t moved past that. It’s okay though, they‘re unbelievably upbeat folks, I’ll let them give their obligatory encouragement. The last thing I want is to come off as a sour puss because I'm sure I have in the past.

It's just ironic because the weirdness in the room is amplified when it happens, probably making them think I need even more encouragement, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike
    Those are the true friends.
    Yeah, and most people my own age do speak to me normally, even when I can feel their discomfort. And I have one aunt I've always been cool with--we share similar tastes in many things. Our conversations have never changed, even when we discuss my physical problems or whatever, it's just normal conversation, just... different from the other folks. I don't know, maybe I'm weird, I don't find very many people who are on the same wavelength as me, if that makes any sense, even before my injury.
    Last edited by They Might Be SCI Giants; 03-21-2008 at 09:11 PM.

I would be half tempted to give these people a taste of their own medicine. "Oh, you mowed the lawn today, Uncle Jerry? At your age? Wow, what a trooper you are! And that Aunt Matilda! Still baking even though she needs glasses to read her cookbooks!"

That's got to be seriously annoying dude. I guess it's an extension of that "I don't know you well enough so I'll just be overly nice" attitude that some people have. I worked for a woman like that and it's amazing how after awhile all the faux kindness can lead you to want to punch someone in the face.

Like you said, the people closest to you are going to focus more on real stuff. Maybe mention this type of stuff the AB people in your life who understand where you're coming from. It couldn't hurt to get the word out.

It sounds like most of the people who treat you that way aren't that important in your life anyway. I'd worry more about people you see more often, like your writing coach. If he/she keeps acting that way, I'd bring it up. No need to be a dick, just be real. Even to the other, less important people.. if it bothers you, bring it up to them as well (perhaps sarcastically as I suggested above ).