Thread: Better leg bags and what's up with flocked backed bags?

Better leg bags and what's up with flocked backed bags?

Hello All: It's been about 6 months since I've been here and Ive had great help in dealing with my father's (he's aged/incontinent but ambulatory) urinary drainage issues at night. We've done pretty well for the most part although he still gets up a lot. He can actually do the tubes a little and sometime puts on his catheter condom.

We've gone mostly with a leg bag at night and not doing the night bag. The leg bag actually has worked pretty well once we made a slit in his diaper to avoid pinching off the bag. The night bag is problematical as dad tends to wake up at night and is not good at bending over and picking up such a night bag...

Anyhow, recently Mentor co. stopped selling the urinary bags with flocked backing, product 9004-9007. We got a substitute bag that is more or less one thin layer in the back and my wife tells me they are not working as well at night. I confess I havent really pulled one out to study it so going by whay my wife says, but I cant believe the new bags are the problem but...?

So tell me, is there any significance to the flocked backing? Or maybe we just got a couple of dud urinary bags and we should keep trying?

What other products/brands for urinary bags do you guys recommend?

Any comments on the various tap systems? My dad absolutely hates the fast taps on these, the pinch into his leg. We prefer the taps that flip back up into the bag as this seems to least likely to be accidently opened but what of the standard tap and the other tap by mentor ? Can they open by accident?

We may also go with a night bag after all. My wife recently did one as an experiment and worked real well. So what brands/products do you recommend?

Thanks for your help everyone. The last six months have been much improved...

Blog Entries
    I thought the backed ones were for visibilty reduction. I use ONLY a screw type drain valve, over 11 years with these bags.
    http://tinyurl.com/yoazxq
    I use a foam strap thru the top with velcro closure and hang it just below my knee. 24x7
    I use surgical tubing between the catheter and bag.
    If the vinyl causes him to sweat, I used to take a bandana and cut/sew them to fit over the outside. I have never had a drain problem with the bag attached to my leg at nite, I roll side to side quite a bit and never check it. Just wake up and tranfer to chair roll over and empty it, back to bed. No worries. The drain is just above my ankle, 500ml is what I use.
    I HAVE had a few holes in the bag over the years, so I keep a fitted/ wet-proof sheet under the mattress cover. I clean them daily with a weak bleach/water solution. Sometimes I go for too long w/o changing to a new one and the seam will get a small pinhole leak. Probably due to the bleach/time factor. Not a regular concern. I change them monthly, approximately. I'm fairly active and rough on things. He will have no worries.

John
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 03-20-2008 at 11:30 PM.

thanks for your comments your set up seems quite like my dads. I envy that you are able to have great success at night with a leg bag. Have to run now, will post more later; please keep comments coming. thx.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    I thought the backed ones were for visibilty reduction. I use ONLY a screw type drain valve, over 11 years with these bags.
    http://tinyurl.com/yoazxq
    I use a foam strap thru the top with velcro closure and hang it just below my knee. 24x7
    I use surgical tubing between the catheter and bag.
    If the vinyl causes him to sweat, I used to take a bandana and cut/sew them to fit over the outside. I have never had a drain problem with the bag attached to my leg at nite, I roll side to side quite a bit and never check it. Just wake up and tranfer to chair roll over and empty it, back to bed. No worries. The drain is just above my ankle, 500ml is what I use.
    I HAVE had a few holes in the bag over the years, so I keep a fitted/ wet-proof sheet under the mattress cover. I clean them daily with a weak bleach/water solution. Sometimes I go for too long w/o changing to a new one and the seam will get a small pinhole leak. Probably due to the bleach/time factor. Not a regular concern. I change them monthly, approximately. I'm fairly active and rough on things. He will have no worries.

John
    Do you use a foley cath? I have been told that long term use is not good, I have a lot of problems and was just wondering. Thanks
    Go Georgia Bulldogs

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Yes, I've used a foley since about a year after my accident. All that cathing was just too much of a hassle. Plus I can drink all I want went I want now with no worries. A little over 11 years with the foley so far and no complaints. I figured the other day and posted in someones thread that I had saved a bit over 32,000 caths in those 11 years. For me, that's a no-brainer. I have better things to do with my time, lol.

Hey, what part of GA are you in? Noticed you were a truck driver. I saw a picture/story a long time back that showed an independant operator with a lift buit into the sleeper on the drivers side that he used to get behind the wheel. He had been driving a few years with that setup. Bet that cost a bit, but hey, a truck does too. Too bad the fuel prices are so high now.

Go VOLS !
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 03-21-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    Yes, I've used a foley since about a year after my accident. All that cathing was just too much of a hassle. Plus I can drink all I want went I want now with no worries. A little over 11 years with the foley so far and no complaints. I figured the other day and posted in someones thread that I had saved a bit over 32,000 caths in those 11 years. For me, that's a no-brainer. I have better things to do with my time, lol.

Hey, what part of GA are you in? Noticed you were a truck driver. I saw a picture/story a long time back that showed an independant operator with a lift buit into the sleeper on the drivers side that he used to get behind the wheel. He had been driving a few years with that setup. Bet that cost a bit, but hey, a truck does too. Too bad the fuel prices are so high now.

Go VOLS !
    I live in Statham , which is about 5 miles from Athens. I use to drive for Publix. Don't know if you know them, its a large grocery chain out of Florida. I asked a question about foleys the other day and a nurse said it can cause bladder shrinkage, cancer, etc. But then again what don't cause cancer.....
    Go Georgia Bulldogs