Thread: caregiver looking to move to San Fransico

caregiver looking to move to San Fransico

my friend is a care giver who wants to move to San Francisco. Does anyone have any information/resources I could pass along?

It is VERY expensive to live right in the City, and the whole Bay Area has very high housing prices. Does this person have a good job (other than just making what a PCA makes)? Rent is especially high there. If they are looking for PCA jobs, I would suggest contacting the local ILCs as most maintain a list of people interested in that type of work.

(KLD)

I'm a Quad in the bay area and am always looking for caregivers. email me and maybe something can be worked out.,.

thanks for the response. My friend is aware that rent and the cost of living is high in san fran. I was wondering if you could tell me what ILCs refers too?

Quote Originally Posted by BMC
    thanks for the response. My friend is aware that rent and the cost of living is high in san fran. I was wondering if you could tell me what ILCs refers too?
    ILC is usally an acronym for Independent Living Centers. Usually a small house or apartment, but it varies from state to state. Good luck, as KLD noted the Bay Area is cruelly expensive indeed, but it can be a great place to live as well.

Tom

I know a bunch of quads from around the peninsula also. Message me if he/she needs some help

No, Tom, that is NOT what an ILC is. An ILC (Independent Living Center) is not some place that provides housing for people. It is a consumer-run non-profit advocacy agency for people with disabilities. They provide information, advice, resources and peer support for people with disabilities who want to or are living in the community. The Bay area is the home of the very first ILC (in Berkley), started by a bunch of UC Berkley students including the late Ed Roberts.

Here is a link to finding out about ILCs and finding one in your area:

http://www.ilusa.com/links/ilcenters.htm

(KLD)

Thanks, KLD - my bad, I stand corrected. I was thinking of the housing aspect (called ISL's here)...whoops!

Tom

thanks for the help

thanks for the help, all the info I can get is very helpful!

BMC - thank you very much for asking this question for me.
    All others: I am the caregiver in question.
    But I have another question - How hard is it go get a visa for an out of country caregiver? Has anyone in this forum done this? (I am in Canada and DO have a place to live in SF)
    Last edited by smartneko; 03-24-2008 at 03:05 AM.