Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attn: computer geeks: need input on NAS.

attn: computer geeks: need input on NAS.

situation: I have two work computers, a Powermac G5 (OSX 10.5) & an Alienware laptop (WinXP Pro). I need a way to share files between the two, and I need a lot more bandwidth than WiFi can provide. Both machines have 10/100/1000 ethernet connectivity, so it makes sense to tap into the gigabit networking capability to do so.

questions:

What do I need to set up a network between the two? I don't need Internet access w/ this. I'm already connected via WiFi to a 10/100 router/WAP to cable. No need to replace that hardware (which is on another floor anyway). Can I just get a gigabit switch & connect both computers + a NAS unit (+ maybe even a print server) to it?

What's a reasonably-priced (i.e. as light on the wallet as possible, yet not compromising quality) way to do NAS? I'm looking for around 1TB of storage. I don't need anything fancy, just something that's reliable & fast.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

I've got a 1TB ReadyNAS something or other from Infrant. Plugged it into an Ethernet hub, all the computers can access it and it's a print server.

It wasn't a cheap as a do-it-yourself solution, but it fits the bill.

Why is your G wireless too slow? I stream to both mylappyand mediaplayer with little issues.

NAS are under 300, and it's mainly the drives that cost.

You might have an issue running 2 networks... I don't know how it'd be done actually.

Katja - thanks, reading about it.

Patonb - It's not wireless G. I'm running B, which is still faster than my Internet line; I never saw a need to upgrade. Regardless, I could use more than 54mbps b/c the NAS drive will serve as a primary work drive. I have a small business that churns through several gigs of images every week.

The 54Mbps is only the wifi eh. The LAN connection is still 100/1000 (well depends on the router).
    Unless you're bulk transfering 100's of megs via wifi, I doubt there will be an issue.

I would really upgrade the router... Is your B WPA? as a buisness setup, it'd better be.

It'll be so much easier to setup......... Or wait a little till G is finallized.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking .... why don't you directly connect the Gig-E between the two systems? You don't need a switch between it unless you're connecting more than the two systems.
    Daniel

The idea is to keep data separate from the workstations, although I've indeed considered adding 2-3 more drives to the G5 & just connecting the Windows machine to it. I'm going to play around with connecting XP to OSX; if it's more hassle than it's worth for use on a daily basis, I'll still lean towards a NAS. This will be used for cataloging photos via Adobe Lightroom, so I'd need it to network w/o hassle between the two platforms.

I have an old PC lying around that I may try to ressurect for a NAS running FreeNAS. We'll see. I need new fans (too dang noisy right now), new drives, and a gigabit card. This may be relatively cost-effective though.

A NAS is perfect for what you want, I just don't understand why the transfer needs to be faster than the 54Mbps of a wifi.

duh, *just* because it's faster.

actually we work w/ uncompressed photos & layered Photoshop docs a lot. They're big files. If a NAS was strictly backup, it wouldn't matter. If it's used as a drive to actually work off of, the more available throughput the better.

besides, it's cheaper to set up a 1000mbps wired network between computers in the same room vs. upgrading the existing wireless router to G or N (the latter of which would require upgrading the cards in the machines too).

Well then...... If you dont care bout cables, and they're easy to run, just get the NAS.

I assumed you weren't very accessable for wires. Hence why you were wifi'd. But that one statement totally changes the setup.