Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bachelor in Mathematics

Bachelor in Mathematics

I'm going to go back to school and finish my BS degree in mathematics. I'm wondering if anybody in here also has a bachelor in Math? I'm still planning on teaching, but if I should decide to do something outside of education, what jobs do you think would hire math majors with little to no business education. Thanks.

In case you aren’t aware, many of the courses for teachers are different (K-12), and they vary from state to state. In some states you don’t get a degree in teaching math per se. You have to take the required courses to get certified and then take a minor or electives for extra math emphasis, if you wish. But in many places anyone certified can be a math teacher. For instance my sister in Ohio planned her degree to teach English or Art but ended up as a math teacher because that’s where she was needed. She hates math and struggles with it.

An example in Tennessee: Someone with a BS in a degree like business or communications would have to go for about 2 or 3 more years full-time to take the required courses to be certified. You would have to retake many of the subjects you already took except specially designed for teachers. And there is no math teacher certification. It is very important to ask the university advisor to evaluate the classes you have already taken to see if they are ok for certification.

A math degree and a teaching degree are two separate things in a lot of states, so is k-8 or high school certification.
    Last edited by ala; 03-18-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spelling - wrong word

I admire anybody who can handle that much math. I have a masters but if I had to go back to highschool and pass algebra I, I would be in big trouble. Is there any chance you could attain a dual bachelors - education and separately math. If not, maybe pursue education with math minor.

Sean,

I've seen web sites where they teach math subject online and also do tutoring. Homework help too. I don't know if you need a certificate to teach math online or not. My guess is no but I could be wrong.

Places that hire math majors? Dependent on getting a security clearence, NSA, NASA, FBI especially if you have Russian or Spanish language background possibly modern Hebrew also (these positions would involve money laudering from drugs, organized crime and terrorism). Foundations and governments from city to national that need statistical work done. Any computer company, hardware or software, if you have applied math skills. And, of course, insurance companies.

Adino, any distance learning organization that is accredited needs instructors that are certified.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

How about an actuary. They are in high demand and the pay is good.

Definitely look into serious software engineering companies, ones into visualization, data mining, software for mechanical engineering, etc. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with here.

Ala is right about the different requirements to teach in various states. If you are planning on teaching in a state other than the one you are going to school in, check out the requirements to be certified to teach there. (I am assuming the school you are going to will know what you need there. )
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I have a degree in Computer Science and have a math minor. You can hold a variety of jobs with a math major. If its the money your after then definitely anything IT related will pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    I'm going to go back to school and finish my BS degree in mathematics. I'm wondering if anybody in here also has a bachelor in Math? I'm still planning on teaching, but if I should decide to do something outside of education, what jobs do you think would hire math majors with little to no business education. Thanks.
    Hardluck, maybe half of the engineers and programmers I worked with at one of our largest defense contractors had degrees in Mathematics, with maybe a course or two in programming - or theory of. Industry in my experience hires people with your desired degree for their critical/logical thinking skills, and feel they can learn on the job whatever is needed.

Good luck, math is fun to me. It can be relaxing to solve difficult problems with paper and pencil (and a T-82 calculator). Of course the T-82 is probabaly years obsolete, but it could draw a parabola, so to me that was pretty cool. Even though I liked to draw my own on graph paper
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!