Thread: Elevation of heart rate

Elevation of heart rate

I understand it is now estimated that one out of eight baby boomers (I'm one) will eventually come down with Alzheimer's.

There seems to be good evidence that cardiovascular exercise -- aerobic elevation of one's heart rate for 20-30 minutes at least three or four times per week -- can prevent the onset of the disease.

Use of the hand peddle cycle is the only cardio option I'm aware of for people with SCI. Since I have a slight amount of scoliosis (curvature of the spine), I have difficulty maintaining my torso in an erect position while pedaling.

Is this form of exercise capable of elevating one's heart rate by a measurable amount? Is there another way to obtain the same aerobic benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Don D. 73
    Is this form of exercise capable of elevating one's heart rate by a measurable amount? Is there another way to obtain the same aerobic benefit?
    I have never been able to elevate my heart rate using the hand cycle on its own. I have however had success with activities that require the use of more muscle groups (i.e. "body parts"). Swimming has worked extremely well for me. Using a VitaGlide and really working my trunk muscles into the movement has worked well too.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Ever try a Nustep? - you can use your arms to manipulate legs.
    I can walk with a cane - not very far - I use this at the gym at least 3 times per week. Get my heart rate up to @ 110/min.

http://www.nustep.com/

Hope this is helpful.

The Nustep is a great machine but cost's !!!!! like over 3 grand