Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PT and Protein to build MUSCLE - Need help with protein part

PT and Protein to build MUSCLE - Need help with protein part

I'm not positive that I should put this here, but it does have to do with exercise, too. If it needs to be moved, I understand!

I am currently in physical therapy at the Center for Spinal Cord Injury Recovery at RIM Detroit, doing 3 hours of pt a day, 3 days a week. My metabolism seems to be pretty high and I drop weight very easily - without even trying. I've lost about 25 lbs in the last year and now am 1 lb below my goal weight. Now I need to build MUSCLE!

I know that I need protein to build muscle and that includes cheese, eggs, peanut butter, and chicken. What else? Is there a particular time that I really should be eating protein to increase the effects? Before therapy, after therapy, does it matter?

What can I do to prevent losing more weight? I'm really not a big eater and usually only eat once a day and it's not because I'm dieting. I've just always eaten once a day for probably the last 10 yrs or so. I've dropped 5 lbs just in the last month from starting therapy. I really don't need to lose wmore weight - just build muscle!

We are concentrating on my core in therapy this session. It's the weakest part of my body now and I'd really like to get rid of my quad belly. Even though I can walk, I'm still stuck with one! We are doing lots of bridges, crunches, back extensions, etc. My abs finally got sore for the very first time this week! I'm very excited about that! And I am finally feeling my abs working during every day activity! That is such a GOOD feeling!

I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer. I've never really had to watch my weight or pay attention to my diet, so I don't even know where to start!

Thanks!
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

u will never get enough protein from food to make gains.

take a mrp[meal replacement] in the morning , a protein shake pre workout and post workout. rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pd of body weight. when bb's r bulking they will take in upwards of 3 grams per pound.
    below is what i take.
    i double this serving
    http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_on016.htm
    mrp
    http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_san55.htm
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Be careful w/that mrp:

INFUSION is packed with EFA's (essential fatty acids), including Flax seed oil and CLA! Critical in maintaining maximum testosterone levels. EFA's also produce good prostaglandin's, which can improve the actions of insulin, decrease muscle breakdown, increase growth hormone secretion and optimize growth hormone production. Additionally, EFA's promote healthy cholesterol levels, stimulate tissue repair, combat cortisol and increase the use of fat for energy.

Thanks for replying fuentejps an mimin!

Ok, so according to that page, one serving has 24g of protein. You said 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. I weigh 119 lbs, so I would need to drink 5 of those PER DAY???? Oh man, I don't know where I would put it all. If I drank 5 of those every day, I wouldn't be eating any meals! Is that safe? Like I said, I usually only eat once a day, although I have been eating a little more since starting therapy.

I'm thinking that I'll go with the shake, but skip the mrp. Funds here are limited and I don't want TOO much muscle - just to get back what I've lost over the last 4 years and tighten things up.

Thanks again!
    Tina
    Aug '03

when bb's r bulking they will take in upwards of 3 grams per pound.
    What are bb's?
    "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

I'm assuming body builders
    Tina
    Aug '03

Tina, many, many people/athletes make muscle gains without taking protein supplements. For thousands of years, humans have put on muscle bulk doing their work as well as training for athletic events, without protein supplements/shakes. If you do decide to go the supplement/shake route, be careful because you can put on FAT if you're not working out the muscles you have enough to convert the extra protein into muscle. This fat can and will make your quad gut bigger. Also, you might try an abdominal binder to help prevent the quad gut from stretching out/growing, in addition to your exercise routine.

Eat more lean meats, talk to a nutritionist and/or personal trainer as well as your physical therapists. Don't be too quick to buy into the hype of protein shakes. If you want to be a bodybuilder, that's different... but remember you do not have all the muscles working as an AB...
    Last edited by Scorpion; 03-15-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TINAMARIE
    I'm assuming body builders
    Yes you are correct.http://www.wheelchair-bodybuilding.com/
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Tina, many, many people/athletes make muscle gains without taking protein supplements. For thousands of years, humans have put on muscle bulk doing their work as well as training for athletic events, without protein supplements/shakes. If you do decide to go the supplement/shake route, be careful because you can put on FAT if you're not working out the muscles you have enough to convert the extra protein into muscle.

Eat more lean meats, talk to a nutritionist and/or personal trainer as well as your physical therapists. Don't be too quick to buy into the hype of protein shakes. If you want to be a bodybuilder, that's different... but remember you do not have all the muscles working as an AB...
    You'r right about not working the muscle enough.Thus quad guts.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Good point, Scorpion. Thanks. And I believe all of my muscles DO work now, they are just extremely weak. I was worried that my abs weren't but they finally kicked in at therapy last week!

I am in therapy for the next 2 months with the possibility of extending it another 2 months if I think I'm really getting somewhere. (I'm on short term dis from work right now and don't REALLY want to take even more time off but am open to the possibility if I'm close to reaching one of the goals I've set for myself)

But once I go back to work I won't have the time or energy to work out as steadily as I am in PT. I'm motivated to do home exercises after this PT session, because I did 2 months of therapy last year and have lost almost all of what I had gained, but it obviously won't be 3 hours a day 3 days a week!

I guess I am trying to cheat a little bit and do it as fast as I can. But then another thought is, if I'm not working out as hard after PT will that muscle I gain turn into fat? hmmmmmm
    Last edited by TINAMARIE; 03-15-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    Tina
    Aug '03