Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fifty reasons to switch from Windows to Mac

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW4 View Post
    You have to do the same with a PC. Buy a new one every few years. Mac's are better quality overall. You get what you pay for.
    I get exactly what I pay for. I have 3 computers running Win 7 that were built by me. The oldest one is 8 years old and it does all I need it to do with Microsoft's latest OS. You will not find any 8 year old Apple running their latest OS, NONE. They aren't supported.

So while it is possible to run a older PC with the newest OS, at a certain age (3-4 years) it isn't possible to run an older Mac with their newest OS. They stop supporting their own hardware and make you upgrade (buy a new computer from them) if you wish to continue with their latest OS. It's not a matter of it will run but it's slow or sluggish or can't do some of the things that newer Mac's can do, it's simply impossible to install.
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    I get exactly what I pay for. I have 3 computers running Win 7 that were built by me. The oldest one is 8 years old and it does all I need it to do with Microsoft's latest OS. You will not find any 8 year old Apple running their latest OS, NONE. They aren't supported.

So while it is possible to run a older PC with the newest OS, at a certain age (3-4 years) it isn't possible to run an older Mac with their newest OS. They stop supporting their own hardware and make you upgrade (buy a new computer from them) if you wish to continue with their latest OS. It's not a matter of it will run but it's slow or sluggish or can't do some of the things that newer Mac's can do, it's simply impossible to install.
    Good point. Here is the thing. Who would want an 8 year old computer anyway? The apple upgrade system is not meant to force users to buy new machines, but deliver better performance, speed and usability.

Good point. Here is the thing. Who would want an 8 year old computer anyway? The apple upgrade system is not meant to force users to buy new machines, but deliver better performance, speed and usability.
    I guess it's also a question of what you want to use the machine for. I have two macs. A 2012 Macbook Pro 15" with a 2.4 ghz processor and 16gb ram, and a 27" iMac with 16 gb ram. I use both for high end video rendering using adobe after effects. PC's are not as stable for video rendering and for the price about the same. Now if I were running unix or linux on the PC I'd have more stability but I'm a Lion fan. Once you try it you wont go BACK!

... Who would want an 8 year old computer anyway? ...
    I don't understand the economics of spending $100 to upgrade an OS for a machine that won't be 1/10 as fast as brand new $300 PC with OS included. Not to mention you refresh all the wear items like drives and cooling fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    I don't understand the economics of spending $100 to upgrade an OS for a machine that won't be 1/10 as fast as brand new $300 PC with OS included. Not to mention you refresh all the wear items like drives and cooling fans.
    Yeah I see your point.

I have one system that has a floppy drive that is 20 years old, a case that is 15 years old, a scanner that is 13, a keyboard and mouse that are 10, a DVD writer, various fans, ADVC, monitor and modem that are 5, Motherboard, RAM and some HDDs that are 2, Video card and Quad-core CPU that is 1, and I just got a new SATA6 2 TB drive, blu-ray burner and more RAM a few months ago. I use it for video editing, it is not slow at all, benches comparable to current quad-core processors (I have it overclocked quite a bit) I challenge you to find one Mac that will allow you the flexibility of upgrading hardware one component at a time and still be compatible with something 20 years old. I actually installed Windows 3.1 with that floppy drive, and it still works with Windows 7 AND Linux. Guess where all the Mac floppy drives are...Yep, in the landfill! I've had 3 different processors in that motherboard (the other two have gone on to live productive lives in my neighbor's computers). Macs have a great OS and some (limited) software, but for a system builder like me, their inflexable, environmentally damaging, over-priced hardware policies kill the buzz.
    Last edited by dr.zapp; 03-31-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zapp View Post
    ...Guess where all the Mac floppy drives are...Yep, in the landfill!
    Where all floppy drives belong. And within a couple years optical drives too.
    I would argue that even powering on useless hardware like that is environmentally wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    Where all floppy drives belong. And within a couple years optical drives too.
    I would argue that even powering on useless hardware like that is environmentally wasteful.
    Yeah the new macbook pros coming out wont have optical drives.

PC's are not as stable for video rendering and for the price about the same.
    When you say stuff like this it just comes off as being completely clueless to the point of stupid. Sorry man, gawds honest truth. Stop writing gibberish, people will respect you more. And before the mac'n'tards get their panties in a bunch wanting (needing?) to justify their gulp! $1400 MBPs, I've been proudly platform independent since 1981, meaning you stick me in front of ANY computer & I'm still going to do it better then you!
    ______
    Awe at my magnificent coq!

"You may say I'm a dreamer
    but I'm not" - J. Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by eks View Post
    When you say stuff like this it just comes off as being completely clueless to the point of stupid. Sorry man, gawds honest truth. Stop writing gibberish, people will respect you more. And before the mac'n'tards get their panties in a bunch wanting (needing?) to justify their gulp! $1400 MBPs, I've been proudly platform independent since 1981, meaning you stick me in front of ANY computer & I'm still going to do it better then you!