Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fifty reasons to switch from Windows to Mac

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    ... I can build a pc that will compete with a mac for a 1/3 of the price...
    Please tell me how I can build the equivalent of a Mac Mini for $200. I want a HTPC for DVR. It has to be quiet and efficient. It will be powered on 365/24/7 so I don't want some antique space heater sucking down $100 worth of electricity a year just idling. It has to be simple enough for my wife to use. She is not very computer savvy.

The ECS MS200 case looks interesting ($80 after rebate at newegg) but by the time you build that up with Windows OS you'll be over $400. And there are no published specs for power consumption or noise (pretty much most of the PC industry falls flat there). Mac clearly states 13W idle - so about $13/yr to leave it on. In 4 years the PC might actually cost more with power. Then there's noise. I know the mini is virtually silent. I don't know how they managed to keep it quieter than a laptop.

If you know of a desktop PC with Windows Media Center I can build that competes with Mac Mini on performance and efficiency at less than $300 I'd like to hear about it. Atom based machines don't cut it. A laptop might work, but in my experience they all have problems waking up unattended. I'll be testing that soon with my work laptop to see if I can get it to record reliably. Otherwise, I might as well wait I can afford to buy a new mini for the office and move my old one to the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    Please tell me how I can build the equivalent of a Mac Mini for $200. I want a HTPC for DVR.
    What TV tuner are you using for the input in the mini? I've never owned a mac, and the ones I've looked at never had a tv tuner input..

also you can build a old system for a htpc.. run linux (free) & xmbc, or xp & xmbc, or an xbox & xmbc...getting the XMBC part?
    Last edited by Reed-edm; 02-27-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: mis read the post..
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    So what if you spill water on your Mac? I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen but you'll have to go spend 3-4x as much for your new Mac as you would for a Windows laptop that works just as good and just as fast...

Price wise it's not even a comparison. I can build a pc that will compete with a mac for a 1/3 of the price. If something does happen to it that I need to fix it then I can do so, if something happens to a Mac and it needs to be repaired it's gotten be taken to them.

I can honestly say that while I'm not windows fanboy (I use linux also) I would never purchase a Apple computer.
    +1 to this post.

Macs are way over priced.
    Not as user friendly as mac people make them out to be. There's still a learning curve to them.
    And the users that got viruses on windows will still get them on macs. I've seen this just last week! (I laughed! he wasn't happy)

and i miss my right mouse click..
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by Reed-edm View Post
    What TV tuner are you using for the input in the mini? I've never owned a mac, and the ones I've looked at never had a tv tuner input....
    I got the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun dual tuner - only $80 during the black Friday sales. It sits on your home network and is accessible from any PC. They include drivers for Mac, Win, Linux. I like it way better than a built in tuner since it can be shared all over your network.

Back when over the air first went digital I put an ATI all-in-wonder card in my old PC. I went with the combo because the old Pentium D would have been marginal for HD video. After setting it up in the living room I was very disappointed. The card added it's own fan noise, and made the PC run even harder to power it the card. Seemed like a lot of power being wasted just waiting to record a program. So I just gave up on the idea, retired the PC, and bought a Dish network DTV Pal (I refuse to pay for cable, dish, or Tivo subscription). The DTV Pal has been OK but the software is buggy and it will eventually crap out. It too generates alot of heat but at least I can't hear it from across the room.
    Last edited by MSspouse; 02-28-2012 at 12:27 AM.

... i miss my right mouse click..
    Right clicking and scrolling with my Logitech mouse on a mini right now!

Right clicking and scrolling with my Logitech mouse on a mini right now!
    Absolutely! Just 'cause there's only one button doesn't mean there's only one 'click'!

Right/left/double/swiping the top of mouse for scroll. It's all there.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

OS/2 was better than Windows, but IBM screwed that pooch.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari in Pacific NW View Post
    Nauticalmike,

I am looking at my wireless keyboard right now and it DOES have a delete key, near the top, to the right of the + and = key. I have a relatively new Mac, one that has a giant screen with all the hardware inside the screen. I can't remember if the keyboard came with the Mac or not, but it has an Apple icon on the back of the keyboard. And the keyboard is only 11" wide so it's not like it's an expanded keyboard with extra keys.
    Yes the key you refer to says "delete", but it is really a backspace key on any other keyboard besides a mac.

+1 to this post.

Macs are way over priced.
    Not as user friendly as mac people make them out to be. There's still a learning curve to them.
    And the users that got viruses on windows will still get them on macs. I've seen this just last week! (I laughed! he wasn't happy)

and i miss my right mouse click..
    As previously stated the mac mouse does have a right click and it also has swipe to scroll and swipe left and right that windows machines don't have.

1.25GHz Mac mini
    Processor: 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
    Memory 512MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM
    Graphics ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM with AGP 4X
    Hard drive: 40GB Ultra ATA

Yeah man that's a real powerhouse of futuristic computing there! No way no atom is going to compete with that!
    /S
    (cough) Zotac (cough) Running MediaPortal (cough) 21st century HTPC
    with a keyboard/mouse (cough) Think different!

Please tell me how I can build the equivalent of a Mac Mini for $200. I want a HTPC for DVR. It has to be quiet and efficient. It will be powered on 365/24/7 so I don't want some antique space heater sucking down $100 worth of electricity a year just idling. It has to be simple enough for my wife to use. She is not very computer savvy.

The ECS MS200 case looks interesting ($80 after rebate at newegg) but by the time you build that up with Windows OS you'll be over $400. And there are no published specs for power consumption or noise (pretty much most of the PC industry falls flat there). Mac clearly states 13W idle - so about $13/yr to leave it on. In 4 years the PC might actually cost more with power. Then there's noise. I know the mini is virtually silent. I don't know how they managed to keep it quieter than a laptop.

If you know of a desktop PC with Windows Media Center I can build that competes with Mac Mini on performance and efficiency at less than $300 I'd like to hear about it. Atom based machines don't cut it. A laptop might work, but in my experience they all have problems waking up unattended. I'll be testing that soon with my work laptop to see if I can get it to record reliably. Otherwise, I might as well wait I can afford to buy a new mini for the office and move my old one to the living room.
    ______
    Awe at my magnificent coq!

"You may say I'm a dreamer
    but I'm not" - J. Lennon