Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fifty reasons to switch from Windows to Mac

Having a "PC" doesn't mean you have to use Windows. I switched to Ubuntu Linux about 8-9 months ago and haven't looked back! I can still do almost all the same stuff in Linux using completely free software. If I do have to use commercial Windows software, WINE does a great job at running a lot of it (Photoshop comes to mind).

It's less bloated and far more customizable than Win OR OSX. You can even make your desktop look just like Vista or Leopard (or any combination of the 2, or anything you can imagine) if you want. You can install plugins to get all those nifty transparent effects as well as some crazy stuff not seen on the other OS's (like windows bursting into flames when you close them, and a 4 sided cube desktop).

And, like OSX users, Linux users don't have to worry so much about viruses and spyware (since almost all are targeted at Windows).

Macs are definitely more stylish looking. You're buying a complete package with a Mac (the case/monitor design as well as the software). Unfortunately that includes the guts of the machine as well. Proprietary hardware generally means little to no upgrading down the road. I've had my full tower PC case for 6-7 years now and I simply upgrade components as I need to and/or can afford it. Even changing out the CPU or motherboard is a simple process of popping the side of the case off and just doing it.

Macs definitely provide the nicest complete "package" but they're pretty spendy and not really upgradable. Just my two cents!

I've converted!

I used to run Windows on my PC but after spending a lot of time trying to make things work, I decided to switch. I figured I learned on a Mac in high school and used them in college so it couldn't be all that bad. I bought a Mac mini and I'll say it's much better than the PC Windows. I have a small section for Windows via VMware Fusion for Netflix and Microsoft Office for Mac. This computer does everything I want without the hassle. The setup was so easy, it was almost ridiculous. I suggest the Mac to anyone.

Everyone that knows very much about computers know that the mac has a better operating system than windows can ever hope to achieve. It becomes readily apparent when you are working with graphics intensive applications. I am personally biased towards a mac as well from my experiences with the early !IIc's and then a performa 450, followed by a radius 8100/110, and then 2 7100/180's followed by 10 years of Windows. I built my first Pc. in 1999 by going online to auction sites and buying the parts that I thought I needed to put one together. parts were so cheap though that I built three of them. I switched from my beloved macs to Windows because I wanted to run Quickbooks and office, but mostly Quickbooks, because they had office for the mac by then but it was expensive. Everything for the mac was expensive back then and there was a very limited software selection for the macs of the 1990's. I was very knowledgeable with both the hardware and software of the older macs at least for just an avarage person with no formal training goes. Then after I built my three windows machines i learned all about their problems and how to fix them. Now I recently bought myself a new mac, and I am really not liking the new OSX nearly as much as i liked the older OS 8.5. I especially don't like the faact that a mac keyboard does not have a delete key. But that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    Everyone that knows very much about computers know that the mac has a better operating system than windows can ever hope to achieve. It becomes readily apparent when you are working with graphics intensive applications. I am personally biased towards a mac as well from my experiences with the early !IIc's and then a performa 450, followed by a radius 8100/110, and then 2 7100/180's followed by 10 years of Windows. I built my first Pc. in 1999 by going online to auction sites and buying the parts that I thought I needed to put one together. parts were so cheap though that I built three of them. I switched from my beloved macs to Windows because I wanted to run Quickbooks and office, but mostly Quickbooks, because they had office for the mac by then but it was expensive. Everything for the mac was expensive back then and there was a very limited software selection for the macs of the 1990's. I was very knowledgeable with both the hardware and software of the older macs at least for just an avarage person with no formal training goes. Then after I built my three windows machines i learned all about their problems and how to fix them. Now I recently bought myself a new mac, and I am really not liking the new OSX nearly as much as i liked the older OS 8.5. I especially don't like the faact that a mac keyboard does not have a delete key. But that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    I LOL'd..At all of this post.
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Nauticalmike,

I am looking at my wireless keyboard right now and it DOES have a delete key, near the top, to the right of the + and = key. I have a relatively new Mac, one that has a giant screen with all the hardware inside the screen. I can't remember if the keyboard came with the Mac or not, but it has an Apple icon on the back of the keyboard. And the keyboard is only 11" wide so it's not like it's an expanded keyboard with extra keys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason C View Post
    Macs are definitely more stylish looking. You're buying a complete package with a Mac (the case/monitor design as well as the software). Unfortunately that includes the guts of the machine as well. Proprietary hardware generally means little to no upgrading down the road. I've had my full tower PC case for 6-7 years now and I simply upgrade components as I need to and/or can afford it. Even changing out the CPU or motherboard is a simple process of popping the side of the case off and just doing it.

Macs definitely provide the nicest complete "package" but they're pretty spendy and not really upgradable. Just my two cents!
    If they're not upgradable, are they repairable?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Apple doesn't sell machines. They sell proprietary lifestyle portals.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I started with windows 95 and ended with win 7, went through so many pcs for 17 years. My last laptop got water spilled on and i decided to buy a Mac. I'd never ever go back to windows
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

So what if you spill water on your Mac? I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen but you'll have to go spend 3-4x as much for your new Mac as you would for a Windows laptop that works just as good and just as fast...

I worked for Apple in the past, I was in a building with 2500 people and every one had brand new Mac's out of the box when we started. To say that they don't break down like most Mac fanatics will say is B.S. The had a IT staff working on computers daily just like they would if we'd all had Windows OS. Mac's will lock up, shut down and break down just like a PC will. I've been building my own PC machines since the 90's and I can't remember getting a blue screen or my computer locking up on me for the last 5-6 years. If you know what software to avoid and how to protect your computer for crapware then it runs tip top shape year after year.

The other Mac argument is that they can't get infected. Of course they can, they just don't because the people writing virus's and stuff want to infect as many people as possible. Mac's as far as I know haven't ever cross the 15% of computer users line, so if you are writing a virus do you want to write one that is going to infect at most 15% of computer users or 85%? If some one really took to making virus's for Macs it would devastate the Mac user base because they wouldn't be ready for it. A PC user can easily keep their computer from ever being infected by just using some common sense and a virus protector, hell they don't even have to use that. I went all last year without any virus protection to prove a point and win a bet. I used my computer daily, surfed the web, played games, downloaded movies and music...etc not one virus.

Price wise it's not even a comparison. I can build a pc that will compete with a mac for a 1/3 of the price. If something does happen to it that I need to fix it then I can do so, if something happens to a Mac and it needs to be repaired it's gotten be taken to them.

I can honestly say that while I'm not windows fanboy (I use linux also) I would never purchase a Apple computer.
    Most everything I say is

I switched from FreeBSD to Macs once they put something real under the hood. I've built hundreds of PCs over the past 20 years and I have no desire to do it, again. One of my Macs, used as a server, has been on for over a year, now. I also love that there are so few viruses out there for Macs I've never been infected, malware either. I stopped bothering with running protection a couple years ago. Despite several layers of protection I had to rebuild my previous PC at least yearly because of virus/malware issues.

I'm all in favor of people who like using DOS with a pretty shell, who earn a living off it, don't mind cracking their case and getting their hands dirty, and who've just grown up with it...BUT...when it comes to what an OS is there to do BSD is far and away superior, IMO.

I'd venture to say most ppl aren't savvy on, or particularly concerned with, the technical differences between the Mac BSD build and Windows, but they are significant. It's not all about speed and servicability.

Once Apple went overt BSD, I went Apple. I only needed one reason!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.