Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fifty reasons to switch from Windows to Mac

Fifty reasons to switch from Windows to Mac

This is an article for all you dyed-in-the-wool Windows advocates who might be thinking about trying a Mac. My only complaint is that this guy thinks that Windows invented it first. It is sad.
    http://chris.pirillo.com/2008/02/14/...ples-mac-os-x/

For example, he thinks thst right-click was the main way and didn't realize that Apple had the double click more than a decade before the right-click was even a gleam in Microsoft's eye. Yes, he was complimentary to the double-click and I am grateful. And, by the way, if you can't change, Windows mice work on a Mac.

Yes, simply closing the lid puts a Macbook to sleep. I am constantly reminded by Windows users who take the time to remind me that I have not put my computer to sleep before I shut the lid. I tell them that the Mac automatically goes to sleep when I close the lid to the machine. They always look perplexed as if this is a radical idea. All Macs have done this since the 1980's.

He seems amazed that you can save your local settings to your .mac account and they can serve as settings for all your other computers connected via internet to that account. Huh? Why is that so amazing? It seem logical.

I have long taken spring-loaded folders for granted and I was amazed that he thought that these are wonderful. What are spring-loaded folders? Well, if you want to put a file into a folder that several layers deep inside another folder, all you do is to grab that file (click-hold) and move it over the that contains the folder that you want to place the file in. A second later, the folder opens and you move your pointer (still hold holding the click button) over the next folder, and so on layer after layer until you get to the folder than you want. By the way, this feature was available in OS 8, long before the Mac OSX.

On the Mac, almost all programs automatically highlight web site addresses and email addresses so that if you click on them, the right program will be opened. This is part of the system.

Keyboard shortcuts. From 1984, Mac has used a common set of keyboard shortcuts. Yes, you can find some of these in Microsoft Word and Excel because both of these programs grew up on the Mac before it went to Windows. For example, Apple-Z is to undo the last action, Apple-C copies, Apple-X cuts, Apple-V pastes, Apple-A selects all, Apple-S saves, Apple-D duplicates, Apple-F finds, Apple-W closes windows, Apple-Q quits the program, Apple-period cancels an ongoing operation, Apple-comma calls up the preference, Apple-N opens a new file, Apple-M hides the window, Apple-Y turns on or off grid-magnets, Apple-I opens up an information page, Apple-B blanks out a cell (Apple-Shift-B is bold, Apple-Shift-I is italics, Apple-Shift-U is underline), etc., etc.

Well, I shouldn't be complaining. It is so great to see a Windows user rave about Apple. As he says, "Windows users need Apple’s software more than Mac users need Microsoft’s." By the way, for over a year, I tried Windows on Parallels on my MacBook. I spent a lot of time and money on it. It wasn't worth it. Much as I tried to justify the need for windows software and tried o use it, it simply wasn't worth the time and effort. I don't think that I have encountered anything that could not do on the Apple and better. So, I have finally disabled it on my system. I don't miss it. It was not that good at doing what I wanted most and that was showing how Windows users would see the files that I create with the Mac. That is because the Windows system on my Mac is much more capable than the Windows on a PC. It has quick time and bonjour. It can read all Mac formats. So, in the end, I couldn't use it to tell me what the Windows system cannot see or handle.

Wise.

I'm slowly migrating from Windows to Linux or possibly Mac. I'd own a Mac right now, but they are unfortunately out of my price range.

My lappys have all slept on lid closing...... And i've turned it off sas soon as i can.

Saddly, most window users aren't very smart about computers anyway, so doesn't surprise me.

Love how windows95 "pioneered?" the /home Directory method.
    I predict the next windows or Mac OS will have Mulitpul Desktops.
    Why Does Mac OS X Leopard now allow Windows to run Nativly?
    Software development on a MAC requires royalty fees. (or did last i recall)

The best things in life are Free......... Linux

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    Love how windows95 "pioneered?" the /home Directory method.
    I predict the next windows or Mac OS will have Mulitpul Desktops.
    Why Does Mac OS X Leopard now allow Windows to run Nativly?
    Software development on a MAC requires royalty fees. (or did last i recall)

Err....
    Current version of MacOS has screens - multiple desktops.

Leopard does NOT allow windows to run natively... The change of mac hardware to intel based does, and with Leopard they include "bootcamp" which provides the drivers to boot in to windows, but that is all "leopard" supports. Previously, this functionality was provided through Tiger as a beta, but the drivers are finished.

Software Dev on a MAC doesn't require royalty fees. As a matter of fact, the dev system that Apple pushes is based on GCC and G++ as the compiler, and has ever since OS X 10.0.

The closest to needing royalty fees is that TrollTech (the makers of the frame work behind KDE) used to charge royalty fees for their framework to run on Macs (even for open source software), but that has since been resolved. (not that it matters, as Nokia's purchase of TrollTech will kill off that framework QT, but, like, whatever...)

Oh well, too much information...

BTW, I get almost everything I like about linux from fink on the mac.

Last BTW: if your post was meant to be tounge in cheek, sorry for too much information.
    Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Just a small comparison on a how both OS compete.
    (Been awhile, so wasn't sure if Mac wised up on the royalty fees.)
    To correct myself: Leopard's bootcamp allows Windows apps to run at a Native speed. (Same point applies)

Ye, could write a book on this.

(again)

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Saddly, most window users aren't very smart about computers anyway, so doesn't surprise me.
    It's true... it's true. I'm a Windows user. Hardly know a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    My lappys have all slept on lid closing...... And i've turned it off sas soon as i can.

Windows is simply more popular, so that's a horrible generalization. I use a laptop that runs on Windows and it goes to sleep or goes off when I close the lid depending on my preferences. It's not that amazing.

Mac users who see themselves as superior are just assholes because it doesn't take a genius to work with Mac's OS either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    This is an article for all you dyed-in-the-wool Windows advocates who might be thinking about trying a Mac. My only complaint is that this guy thinks that Windows invented it first. It is sad.
    http://chris.pirillo.com/2008/02/14/...ples-mac-os-x/
    I am not trying to defend Chris Pirillo. I believe he was a Power PC user until he tried Vista and the experience went south, so now he is totally committed to Macs. One of his friends recently stated that a lot of what Chris is doing these days on his tech show is "theatre."
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Vista has never given me trouble. You can turn off many functions that suck up memory if you don't want or need it.