Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Miami Project; What Needs To Be Done

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42
    the Miami project IS focusing on combination therapies
    Where?

MP is doing good work, -anyway, this is their active studies from today, but if this is combination therapies as for a SCI cure maybe MP or peoples being there has misunderstood the term, to mix the wording on combination therapies to name it combination is not what most think, (but good combinations for terapies above that);
    • Effects of Massed Practice and Peripheral Stimulation on Functional and Cortical Plasticity in Individuals with Incomplete SCI and Non-Disabled subjects.
    • Comparison of Locomotor Training Techniques for Individuals with SCI
    • Measuring the Effects of Vibratory Input on Individuals with SCI
    • MR Spectroscopy as a Diagnostic and Outcome Measure in Pain and SCI
    • Fertility Evaluation
    • Comparative Study of Intermittent Catheters and Occurrence of Urinary Tract Infections
    • Effects of Whole-body Vibration on Leg Spasticity
    • Walking Training for Children with Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury
    • Activity in Muscles Paralyzed by SCI
    • Effects of Virtual Circuit Exercise Training Program for Adolescents with Spinal Cord Injuries
    • Effects of Exercise on Prandial Lipemia and Fat Oxidation after Tetraplegia
    • Validity and Predictive Value of a 6-Minute Wheelchair Propulsion Test in Persons with Chronic Paraplegia
    • Effects of Antecedent Exercise on Post Prandial Glycemia and Lipemia in Persons with Chronic Paraplegia
    • Effectiveness of Acupuncture Treatment in Management of Shoulder Pain in Persons with Chronic SCI
    • Nutrient Strategies to Enhance Muscle Function in Persons with Complete and Incomplete Spinal Cord Injuries
    http://www.themiamiproject.org/x186.xml

Quote Originally Posted by joseph
    For 1, the Miami project isn't about to close down, just the opposite may be true. There victories are small but definitly moving in the right direction. 2. They have the eyes, ears and pockets of the NFL, NBA,MLB, hollywood, politicians so on. Huge amounts of charitable money flow into that place so let them do their thang. 3. Just bless everything and everyone trying to make a difference.4. The best solution in my eyes is the collaboration between all the research folks. The Cure will come, Faith and Patience.
    Collaboration? Yea. When the Quest For Cure was formed all the major SCI charities signed on to help as people in the states pushed laws for SCI CURE funding through. Don Misner from the Miami Project was there as the MP's spokesman. Everyone signed on. Then when letters or people to testify were requested the only group to never, to my knowledge, send or sign a letter of support was Miami. Mr Misner is also no longer connected with them and yet he was a founding, funding member back in 1985.

It's a shame because they have Mary Bungee who, like her late husband Richard was, is an amazingly talented scientist. I think the MP should go back to cure research and forget studying sperm, cholesterol levels, pain issues, and all the side stuff.

As for pain after a cure? Believe me, this is one area where the big pharmaceutical companies excel and make money. Cure us and the pill makers will come.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton

I think the MP should go back to cure research and forget studying sperm, cholesterol levels, pain issues, and all the side stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Where?
    • Effects of Massed Practice and Peripheral Stimulation on Functional and Cortical Plasticity in Individuals with Incomplete SCI and Non-Disabled subjects.
    • Comparison of Locomotor Training Techniques for Individuals with SCI
    • Measuring the Effects of Vibratory Input on Individuals with SCI
    • MR Spectroscopy as a Diagnostic and Outcome Measure in Pain and SCI
    • Fertility Evaluation
    • Comparative Study of Intermittent Catheters and Occurrence of Urinary Tract Infections
    • Effects of Whole-body Vibration on Leg Spasticity
    • Walking Training for Children with Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury
    • Activity in Muscles Paralyzed by SCI
    • Effects of Virtual Circuit Exercise Training Program for Adolescents with Spinal Cord Injuries
    • Effects of Exercise on Prandial Lipemia and Fat Oxidation after Tetraplegia
    • Validity and Predictive Value of a 6-Minute Wheelchair Propulsion Test in Persons with Chronic Paraplegia
    • Effects of Antecedent Exercise on Post Prandial Glycemia and Lipemia in Persons with Chronic Paraplegia
    • Effectiveness of Acupuncture Treatment in Management of Shoulder Pain in Persons with Chronic SCI
    • Nutrient Strategies to Enhance Muscle Function in Persons with Complete and Incomplete Spinal Cord Injuries
    http://www.themiamiproject.org/x186.xml
    I missed the nerve regeneration stuff. What's "Vibratory Input", "Lipemia and Fat Oxidation", and "6-Minute Wheelchair Propulsion Test"?

I think I see now why a 20 million dollar annual budget is necessary.

This is what Damien Pearse will present at Working2Walk.

http://www.themiamiproject.org/x481.xml
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Quote Originally Posted by IMHopeful
    This is what Damien Pearse will present at Working2Walk.

IMhopeful,

I hope so. They reported this nearly 4 years ago. I feel they should be in clinical trials by now, if not sooner.

When they met recently with Stephen Davies, MP was at least interested in using some of Davies methods. This tells me MP may or may not be at the precipice of good news.

We'll see. I truly hope they have what we all seek.

Regarding their combo therapy:

1) There was an attempt by another scientist to replicate the results of this study, and the attempt was unsuccessful.

2) It is my understanding that rolipram cannot be tolerated by the human body in the levels needed. It causes constant vomiting.

I could be wrong on both of the above, on the other hand, this makes sense. Maybe Dr. Davies role is two-fold:

Reformulate the rolipram and attempt to replicate the study.

I don't think accountability is too much to ask for. I think what also irks some about MP is the very mission indicated in their name - 'to cure paralysis'. Many research dollars have been siphoned into QOL areas thus far. All the QOL successes in the World will not cure paralysis. With the right components, however, MP have a great platform upon which to extend, and with the added arsenal of a brilliant mind such as Dr Davies, some long awaited good news will likely be on the way - should that go ahead of course.

chasb,

Rolipram (in high doses) can cause blood vessels to leak. One of the reasons the MP combo could not be replicated is due to the relatively moderate contusion imparted to the lab rats; this has been discussed in depth on this forum before.

I don't know this for certain, but it is highly likely the mildly contused rats improved naturally, therefore when others imparted a more real world injury, the MP results could not be replicated.

What we have to understand is just because a promising lab finding doesn't pan out, doesn't necessarily relate to a negative. It's good there are differing approaches, sooner or later, one will work.

Much like rats, humans also improve significantly from mild contusions.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 03-17-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    chasb,
    I don't know this for certain, but it is highly likely the mildly contused rats improved naturally, therefore when others imparted a more real world injury, the MP results could not be replicated.
    Schmeky,

I had heard the rats within the Miami Project combo study were improperly contused. The contusions were not severe enough. Therefore, the results were not able to be replicated.

For those wondering exactly how a rat is contused, as I was:

http://keck.rutgers.edu/docs/brochure_2007_impactor.pdf

The MASCIS Impactor, formerly called the NYU Impactor, was developed in 1991 by Drs. John Gruner, Carl Mason, and Wise Young. It is now used in laboratories throughout the world in their spinal cord injury studies. The device precisely measures the movement of a 10-gram rod dropped 12.5, 25.0, or 50.0 mm onto the T9-10 spinal cord exposed by laminectomy. In addition, the device measures movement of the spinal column at the impact site, displays the trajectory of the falling rod, and measures the impact velocity (ImpV), cord compression distance (Cd), cord compression time (Ct), and cord compression rate (Cr). These impact parameters correlate with each other and spinal cord lesion volumes (estimated from tissue Na and K concentrations) and locomotor recovery (BBB scores).

"The device precisely measures the movement of a 10-gram rod dropped 12.5, 25.0, or 50.0 mm onto the T9-10 spinal cord exposed by laminectomy"

If the Miami Project used this impactor to contuse the rats, the different settings might explain the different results, with regards to replicating the study. Has anyone heard if the rats have ratted the guilty party out ?
    Last edited by chasb; 03-18-2008 at 05:56 PM.