Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Miami Project; What Needs To Be Done

The Miami Project; What Needs To Be Done

People are trying to figure ways to raise $5,000, $10,000, $15,000 (a year) to benefit spinal cord injury. Here is a way to reallocate $20 Million a year. Close the Miami Project Down (as it is currently known).

Am I saying that in 1985 "The Project" wasn't a good idea- no. Am I saying, the people involved didn't give their all- no. Am I saying some talented people don't work there- no. What I am saying is, $20 Million a year goes to the operating overhead. That $20 Million could be reallocated towards other advancements in the spinal cord injury field.

For any operation, all you have to do is look at what is going in, and what is coming out. Here is there news page for the Miami Project:

http://www.themiamiproject.org/x26.xml

Change is never easy. If the Miami Project is truly committed to advancing (solutions in) spinal cord injury progress, they must:

1) Either, bring in a top tier scientist in the spinal cord injury field. Eliminating a substantial portion of their overhead, and redirect their science strategy.

2) Close the Miami Project Down as it is known today. Sell off the assets. I believe they could then focus on what they do best, fundraising.

In my opinion, the two main cell platforms from which the solution to spinal cord injury, are set. What is needed now, is a human clinical trial network. Dr. Young is in the middle of forming this network presently. These trial networks must freely share information as soon as the clinical data becomes available.

The Miami Project was once a noble idea, but it's time to institute major changes.

their news page is indeed pathetic (maybe it's just not updated?). Does the Miami Project have more overhead than other places? Are you saying that none of their scientists are top-tier? What do you mean by the two main cell platforms?
    Last edited by mimin; 03-15-2008 at 08:37 PM.

seeing as you know so much, why don't you start from square one, from nothing, then build something like Marc and his dad did. Easy to stand back & take shots at Miami.

just read another post regarding the Miami Project from six years ago and I see that there were complaints even back then.

You can obviously tell that I'm not on the ball with all these research centers and procedures so excuse my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by chasb
    People are trying to figure ways to raise $5,000, $10,000, $15,000 (a year) to benefit spinal cord injury. Here is a way to reallocate $20 Million a year. Close the Miami Project Down (as it is currently known).

Am I saying that in 1985 "The Project" wasn't a good idea- no. Am I saying, the people involved didn't give their all- no. Am I saying some talented people don't work there- no. What I am saying is, $20 Million a year goes to the operating overhead. That $20 Million could be reallocated towards other advancements in the spinal cord injury field.

For any operation, all you have to do is look at what is going in, and what is coming out. Here is there news page for the Miami Project:

http://www.themiamiproject.org/x26.xml

Change is never easy. If the Miami Project is truly committed to advancing (solutions in) spinal cord injury progress, they must:

1) Either, bring in a top tier scientist in the spinal cord injury field. Eliminating a substantial portion of their overhead, and redirect their science strategy.

2) Close the Miami Project Down as it is known today. Sell off the assets. I believe they could then focus on what they do best, fundraising.

In my opinion, the two main cell platforms from which the solution to spinal cord injury, are set. What is needed now, is a human clinical trial network. Dr. Young is in the middle of forming this network presently. These trial networks must freely share information as soon as the clinical data becomes available.

The Miami Project was once a noble idea, but it's time to institute major changes.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know your level of injury. I don't know how long you have been an SCI, or even if you are.
    What I do know is that the statements you make have no backbone, or in your case "spine". You should, unless you have already, meet Dr. Barth Green and Marc Boniconti and the staff of dedicated scientists, you may come away with a different attitude!!! Quit whining, NO ONE at any cost as solved the SCI mystery. I see scientists with new ideas, what are they doing? asking for money. Dr Davis is even in talks with the Miami Project regarding his work, to what detail I don't know. But if viable they will work with him, as they support and educate, and train scientist from all over the world. Am I happy with the fact the Miami Project hasn't found a cure, NO? But they are working at it, with your intimate knowledge in economics why don't you go solve our countries recession instead of throwing stones at the Miami Project!!!

In the beginning quest to solve any problem, you must cast a wide net for solutions. hESCs and UCBs have been refined to the quality and purity that presently exist. It is time to evolve the process and focuss on the big picture. To advance the solution to spinal cord injury as quick as possible.

The yearly operating budget for the Miami Project is currently around $20 Million dollars. If this $20 million was allocated properly to secondary drug therapy testing, at least 3-4 verified new secondary drug therapies could be readied each year.

Many times, the expedient solution is not the most popular.
    Last edited by chasb; 03-14-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chasb
    Many times, the expedient solution is not the most popular.
    chasb,

I see what you're puttin' down. I guess the main problem is, there isn't a solution yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    chasb,

I see what you're puttin' down. I guess the main problem is, there isn't a solution yet.
    But Schmeny is'nt there someone or some lab that is closer to the solution than others? is that what chasb is getting at?

"What I do know is that the statements you make have no backbone"

ChipD,

You say this in a way, inferring you have extensive knowledge of the Miami Project. It is my understanding, that to date, "the project" has spent nearly $250 Million Dollars. Please list for the forum, the accomplishments of the Miami Project.

For 1, the Miami project isn't about to close down, just the opposite may be true. There victories are small but definitly moving in the right direction. 2. They have the eyes, ears and pockets of the NFL, NBA,MLB, hollywood, politicians so on. Huge amounts of charitable money flow into that place so let them do their thang. 3. Just bless everything and everyone trying to make a difference.4. The best solution in my eyes is the collaboration between all the research folks. The Cure will come, Faith and Patience.