Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Day in the Life...

A Day in the Life...

A project I'm doing at work is "A Day in the Life".

I've brought in a spare chair to the office so co-workers can experience a wheelchair for an entire day. Before they begin they fill out a form rating what they think doing activities in a chair would be
    hard, medium and easy. After they use it for the entire day, they fill in the rest of the form under What do they think now? (still working on the form)

So far it's been a real eye opener for a lot of people in the office.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Great idea! Anything to get the word out and people thinking is wonderful.

Very good idea! I've been traveling the past week, in the desert Southwest. The frustrations were multiple and never quit coming. One day in a chair would enlighten so many people.

I wish they made them do this in architecture school. Law enforcement academy also.

BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long are you running the study for?
    Betheny, you are completely right. Maybe then people won't have to worry about being up to code, it will just happen.

Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

I've got my first subject (team lead) in the chair today. She is seeing whole new world already. Have many people in the office already signing up for it.

This will be done on-going, so long as there is an interrest. If I can nab another chair, I will try to expand to other office buildings.

Being part of the EnAble group with Pepsico, possibly I can get it expanded corperate wide.

Rick, that would be great!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us know how it goes, we want to see some of the results to. Well, I do anyway.

Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Great idea Rick. Just don't let them stand up when they find an inaccessible toilet. Then they will REALLY know what it is like.

can you post the form?

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    Great idea Rick. Just don't let them stand up when they find an inaccessible toilet. Then they will REALLY know what it is like.
    they should crap their pants at least once too
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

no no no.. no crapping in pants, but I did ask that they take the chair into the stall. Geez.. they don't need the whole experience!

Jennifer took the chair to lunch today. On her way back she lost control on a decline, ended up in the middle of a road (parking lot area) then swerved to miss someone, hitting a curb and leaping out of the chair.
    No damage, just giggling the whole time thinking how unbelievable it was.

The form is at work on my pc, it's an "IN Progess" form. Jennifer is also part of EnAble at work and she is great with form kind of stuff and will help me to finnish it off.

She did very well in that she used the chair the entire day.

now.. for the rest of them...