Thread: Just How Low Does Netfix Go?

Just How Low Does Netfix Go?

Netflix has admitted in public hearings that it "throttles" user accounts when the turnaround rate is to fast. It took the repeated testimony of users and numerous denials for Netflix representatives to admit to the throttling.

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2006/0..._netflix_.html

I'm a "heavy user" of Netflix, with their max. eight-at-a-time plan. Recently I've encountered what I'm tempted to believe is a new way Netflix scams its users. I believe they get disc suppliers to sell them defective discs (the manufacturing process inevitably produces some of these) and then mails them to users and pretends the damage resulted from transport in the mails. For this to work they'ed have to find a manufacturing source willing to turn a blind eye to the implied uses Netflix might have for defective discs and Netflix would have to be sleazy enough to do it.

Firstly, would the South Korean source for the DVD disc of Gawi (Nightmare) enter into such an arangement if approached by Netflix? Well while I can't know that they would, looking to something else going on with movie discs in the orient might give an indication. I was fairly amazed while listening to the DVD commentary by Phillip Noyce of his film, The Quiet American that after the heavily attended premier of the film in Vietnam, attendance fell of to almost nothing while very poor quality boot-leg copies were being sold outside the theaters showing the film. Is it too much of a stretch to project sleazy officially sanctioned boot-leging of films in Vietnam to a possible sleazy deal by a S Korean DVD disc manufacturer? I don't know.

What I do know is that I received a copy of Gawi that was in pieces and, after reporting it and waiting three days, another copy with a through crack from the edge to the center hole. That one I reported by phone last Saturday and the customer service rep said he's send a replacement. When I checked my queue and discovered that my second replacement wasn't even scheduled to reach me until this coming Friday, I called again. Now I'm supposedly getting a "bonus title" from my queue and a possible additional bonus title tomorrow. The rep lady said they're only authorized to send one bonus a day so she couldn't guararantee the second bonus. What BS.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I have a different experience with Netflix. I do not have the same problems you are talking about. I have the 3-at-a-time plan, and I turn them over rapidly. I usually mail them back on the next mailing day, and I receive them back within 2 or 3 days. I watch my queue carefully so I know what’s going on. I have had some problems with damaged discs or disc errors in the past, but out of the couple hundred discs I have recently gotten only one had a minor error because of wear and one got lost in the mail. They sent a new disc out immediately to replace the lost one.

I have used Blockbuster and Walmart (when they had it) to rent discs and found them comparable, except actually Netflix turns-around DVD’s faster than the other two. I have used Netflix and Blockbuster off and on for several years (since they started). I calculate it costs me less than a dollar a disc each month to rent movies or TV shows.

I use Netflix too and have never had a problem.I have been absolutely amazed that the U.S. Mail can work so quickly. After watching how fast Netflix turnaround occurs I now shake my head when I hear someone badmouth the Postal Service.

I don't generally have any significant problems with Netflix and they have a two day turnaround time which is hard to beat and I challenge any European country to cite an equally fast mail system at twice the price.

I just got off the phone with another Netflix rep. I had to fight but got the second "bonus title" promised to be sent out today (the one promised yesterday is now shown in my queue as "Shipping Today"). The prick made it sound like he was doing me a big favor and breaking one of the company rules - like I give a shit: I should have had the Korean horror flick a week and a half ago, not two broken copies and a promise of a playable one.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Also no problem with them.

Thumbs up Fair's fair.

I just got off the phone after having what developed into a very satisfying talk with my fourth Netflix rep, a nice lady. I called to report the arrival today of a third broken disc of the Nightmare movie. As we talked and I related how I'd had to fight with the last rep to get another bonus title she registered surprise and disapproval. She said she will be reporting the last rep to their supervisor and is sending me another replacement for Nightmare and an additional title from my queue. So, a silver lining to the fiasco for now - now if the new replacement for the S. Korean horror flick can just show up playable ... .
    J.B.S.Haldane

No problems here either. I am also amazed that I can return a movie and receive the next one within 2 days. So far we have been very happy with it.
    Mom to Heather, age 16, T-12, 8 years post & Michael, age 19.

did you ever watch Reds?

incidentally, the 2nd disk of Reds i had was damaged (it's on 2 disks). i just went to netflix online, reported it, had a replacement 2 days later.

i think netflix operates differently depending on where one lives. mine operates out of tacoma so service is very fast. but then....i'm a customer they love cause i am not a fast turn around....i tend to keep movies for 2 or 3 weeks, unless it's a stupid movie.

i finally just sent Babel back. Reds i still have.

oh, am now watching Shawshank Redemption again. i often wonder why Stephen King has not used his writing skills in this direction a little more often. like The Green Mile. guess he was too influenced by Lovecraft. never liked h.p. myself.

i wonder how much influence Tabitha King has had on these "outcast" novels.
    Last edited by cass; 03-14-2008 at 02:50 AM.