Thread: Disney World?

Disney World?

My husband and I have been thinking about going to Disney World. Being a T8 para, I am a little sceptical about this.
    Does anyone know of the wheelchair accessibility of Disney world? Are their any rides that a para could go on?

do a search, there have been a few threads about Disney. It's one of the few FL parks I've not been to post injury(being a central FL resident & former Sea World employee, I'm a fan of the AB parks). I believe as long as you can transfer you can get on almost all the rides at Disney. One of the perks at theme parks is that as a wheeler you typically don't have to wait in line as they either have you enter through a seperate entrance/the exit or they give you an assigned time to return(typically coresponds with the wait time of the ride but you don't have to wait IN line). As a general rule Disney's walkways are large due to it's theme park nature, so you won't have much trouble there. It's been about 8yrs or so since I've been there but to the best of my recolection most of the main streets are cobblestone or sealed pebble like around a pool deck. It does make for a rough ride(other parks have same type pavement) but it's not dirt or gravel.

Hope this helps some.

Although, my vote is ALWAYS for Sea World/Busch Gardens...you get a lot more park for a lot less money Besides SW just opened up their Water Park Aquatica on the 1st of March I'm anxious to see/hear just how accessible it is...I've not made it there although my passes allow me in...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I had a couple of friends just get back from Disney in Florida (whichever one that is). Granted, they are ab, but they said it looked reasonably accessible. I wouldn't be able to get into the teapots, and probably not Pirates of the Caribbean, but a lot of the rest of the rights looked okay. And I've been told that there is a second line to a lot of the rides, just for people with mobility problems.

This is all second hand, so take it for what it's worth.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

It's has been 21 yrs since I've been to Disney, but even then they were highly accessible. When I wanted to go on a ride, a worker would appear out of nowhere and usher us up the exit and onto the ride. It was one of the perks of being in a wheelchair.....if you can call it that.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Go to disboards.com and scroll down to the disABILITIES forum. You can probably learn everything you need to know there.

And just an FYI...you do not automatically go to the front of the line; you are mainstreamed through the regular line. Once in a while (our experience) a castmember will approach you and offer an alternative. I also made it a habit to approach one of them before each ride just to ask some general questions. You can get a guidebook of some sort that will tell you how accessible each ride is - whether you can stay in your chair, must transfer, must have some use of your legs, etc.

We did Disney last year and it is VERY accessible. There are a lot of rides you don't have to transfer for. If you go to Guest Relations when you first get to a park, they will give you a Wheelchair Pass which will get you to the front of most lines or into the Fast Pass lines. We were there during Spring Break and never waited more than 15 min. as opposed to the 2 hr. wait for everyone else. We stayed at The Orleans Riverside in Disney which was also very accessible. They even went so far as to giving us an ajoining room for our kids for free. The shuttles and ferries were accessible as well. Over all, I would say the only thing that wasn't that great was The Animal Kingdom. The walkways were made to be like jungle paths and were hilly. Not very easy to push at all.

We went in Jan. I am also a T8 para. I am glad to see that Rollwithit's Wife posted about the website. Another good website is All Ears Net. There is a great book called Open Mouse. It can be purchased through the Passporter website or other national book chains.

We did not need a wheelchair pass. We just went to the wheelchair lines. The Cast Members (employees) were great. We stayed at the Polynesian. Expensive but very wheelchair friendly. The room was great with a roll in shower, etc. We stayed there partly because of the monorail. A lot of the rides have wheelchair cars or are easy transfers. There is a site on disboards that talks about each ride. We even got to ride on ride twice because they didn't want to stop it. My girls called me the Mommy fast pass.

I could go on and on. If you have any other questions, please PM. I would love to share all.

Kathy

we are doing a week in disney world then a week disney cruise early next year and from all my research, they seem to be one of the most accessible places on earth. It sounds like they have really made that a priority
    - Moody