Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Manual All Terrain Chair

Manual All Terrain Chair

Calling all the gear geeks out there. I'm looking for an all terrain manual chair to compliment my Tilite ZRA. I need something that will handle dirt and snow without that shopping cart on a dirt road factor that you get with your standard issue caster. Issues are basic geometry and setup. I'm looking at the two Lasher chairs, the new crossfire or the Tilite tr with a front mounted caster. The reason I'm looking at these specific chairs is the caster mounted in front of the foot rest and the broader foot print to increase stability. I'm not worried about the increased turning radius that comes with this because this will primarily be an outdoor chair. The end use for this chair will be to allow me to access outdoor locations for work as a photographer/videographer and DP. I am a strong C7 and can hold my own in most situations but the shock or disc brakes associated with some of these different models will be helpful for stability etc. I'm not opposed to geeking out a regular chair like the TR but I think the caster in front of the foot rest is imperative to prevent the endo. You can rodeo all you want but staying in the chair is obviously imperative. Any and all input would be helpful.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

I hear that. I have a standard aluminum Crossfire that I've outfitted w/ mountain bike tires & 6" casters, but the geometry hasn't changed but slightly. It rolls better in a wheelie but I have some stability issues doing so in rougher terrain. The placement of the casters farther forward would make a significant difference, without question.

Chairs: if money isn't a factor, I'd get a Lasher. I have no first-hand experience with them, but it seems that they have their act together & make quality stuff. The Crossfire would be a reasonable option as well. It's a simple frame with next to nothing to break. I've been pleased with mine. TiLite could likely hook you up with something as well, but I get turned off reading about how much they charge for custom modifications.

Other option: you're bound to have fabrication shops nearby (mtn bike, 4x4 motorsports, etc) that are plenty capable of bending & welding tube. If you have an extra chair lying around that you're not doing anything with, I'd shop around and talk to some locals about modifying it before dropping the coin on a new chair. I know a few people in CO in the 4x4 industry & would be happy to see if they have any recommendations of shops near CB. Just let me know.

Hi 6000ft, I am also a C6/7, but also a mechanical engineer. I have been working on a product that I'm sure you will be interested in. It will satisfy all your listed needs. I sent you a message and you can email at pat.dougherty@hp.com or tamiandpat@msn.com

Please email if interested. Thanks,

Pat

My Invacare territory rep left a Crossfire All Terrain demo in my clinic this afternoon. Pics tomorrow or Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    My Invacare territory rep left a Crossfire All Terrain demo in my clinic this afternoon. Pics tomorrow or Friday.
    Sweeeeet!

Scott- Money is definitely an issue but this is a role I used to fill and am now paying someone else for so really it's an investment. Also, given where I live, it opens a lot of doors. On top of all that, I'm happy to have a whole lot less "can't do's" in my life. I agree on the Lasher but my DME seems to have had some after-sale issues and is a bit sour. I asked for clarification on that but have not heard yet so anyone else's review would be great. Voc Rehab will be shouldering some of this which requires a participating vendor so the Monster Garage approach is out of the question.

Pat- I would love to hear about your product but for this round the same Voc Rehab vendor status offers the same limitation.

SCI_OTR- A review would be great. Hit it with speed and let me know what happens.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Hi 9000ft, I just realized I called you 6000ft in my first message. Sorry (-3000ft)

What I was talking about is called the FreeWheel(tm). It's a wheel mounted on the footrest of your wheelchair that raises your casters off the ground. It pivots freely. You can easily push over grass, dirt and gravel (and snow) because the wheel rolls over such ground instead of digging in as casters often do. The longer wheelbase adds stability as you roll over curbs or roots. I used to dread pushing across and up the back lawn to the back patio. My shoulders would make popping noises from the strain as I move about 6 inches per push. Now, I can push without shoulder strain noise and actually "coast" uphill on the grass between pushes!

The FreeWheel can be quickly installed and removed by the wheelchair user in seconds. It clamps onto your existing footrest. It's made of lightweight aluminum and I'm building pre-production prototypes to fit different chairs. Patents pending.

I've included a picture of an old steel prototype. My wife and kids/cousins and I were up on Mt Hood in Oregon last June.

But I thought about what you were saying about wanting to get out and carry equipment for your photography. I have mounted a toolbox above the FreeWheel which is really handy. As you know, you can't carry stuff in your lap and push at the same time. So, this toolbox has been great to carry tools and such as you push. And when you need a piece of equipment it's right there in front of you.

Let me know what you think. I've been asked for prototypes because people don't want to wait for production. Even though that will bring the cost down. Prototypes are $300.

Pat

That is a most-excellent concept. Now, the footrest poll you posted a few months ago makes sense.

Patd that looks like a fantastic effort.
    Theres is another thing called a freedom wheel but it looks bulky and awkward in comparison to yours.

The only question i have regards the footrest, and what type it can mount on to. Also, what sort of downward and/or twisting forces act on the footrest and could it cause a failure?

I'm not suggesting it would, merely trying to get a handle on how it mounts.
    Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never Ever drink and derive!.

That is so cool, Patd! I would use one for sure.