Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: full electric bed

full electric bed

My wife's bed let out a loud bang and was emitting dark choking smoke this morning as she was raising the head. Luckily I was in the next room & came running so I could unplug it before the room filled with smoke or a fire started under her. It looks like the motor & control unit are hosed.

So we're looking for a new bed. It sure would be nice to move back into a queen size, as opposed to her downstairs in the (single) hospital bed and me upstairs in our old queensize bed. A full electric would be needed, as getting down on my hands & knees to crank the bed up & down is getting very old. I would want to use the Tempur-pedic mattress that we bought just one week before she was paralyzed.

I was just now looking at the Flex-a-bed 3-motor model, which looks like I can find for not much more than $2K. Anyone have recommendations?

- Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    So we're looking for a new bed. It sure would be nice to move back into a queen size, as opposed to her downstairs in the (single) hospital bed and me upstairs in our old queensize bed. A full electric would be needed, as getting down on my hands & knees to crank the bed up & down is getting very old.
    Do you really need an electric bed? Have you considered transitioning to a regular bed so you and your wife can be together? I'm stuck on a hospital type bed for another week, but I am SO looking forward to getting back into my regular, Eastern king size bed with my husband again. It's huge and it has a very firm mattress which we both love. This mattress is one of those Tempurpedic things and neither of us likes it. Too squishy and it's very hot.

C.

Is your wife able to turn by herself in bed or does she need your help to do so. Reason why I ask is, I purchased a sleepnumber bed so I don't have to turn myself at all. I just lower the pressure to the mattress after I transfer into it to prevent sores. Really works good for that reason. And if I need to turn I boost the pressure up making it easier to roll. The head and foot of the bed are adjusted by remote control. Plus, it has a full warranty for 25 years.

Sorry 'bout your old bed. Good thing you caught it before it got any worse. Good luck.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

<snip> A full electric would be needed, as getting down on my hands & knees to crank the bed up & down is getting very old. I would want to use the Tempur-pedic mattress that we bought just one week before she was paralyzed.

I was just now looking at the Flex-a-bed 3-motor model, which looks like I can find for not much more than $2K. Anyone have recommendations? - Richard
    It is understandable and makes complete sense you and your wife would need an electric bed, especially with her needing assistance from you/others for some of her care needs. No matter how small a PCA may be, assisting with care of a person on a standard height bed, can be extremely straining and puts the pca at great risk for injury and pain. Repeated exertion in such a position can put one at great risk of long-term/permanent damage. I'm sure you're fully aware, but be careful.

I have seen Queen sized electric beds, but can't think of the various brands at the moment. With you mentioning the Tempurpedic mattress, I remembered this: Dual action Queen and King - Queen: $1,530

I unstood your budget to stay ~$2 K?

Here is a Flex-a-bed, high/low Queen: $2,245 (base)
    Flex-a-bed Hi-Low Deluxe Series Queen: $2,599
    Flex-a-bed @ Spinlife Start at $1,499. Queen is still lower ~$2 k.

Sleep Comfort Bed, comparison page

The Lifetime Warranty is good to know.

I just have a full electric, so don't know from experience the above beds. I'm not clear if they all raise/lower by motor, or some just have optional bed raisers from 4-6 inches.

A friend of mine has modified his twin/full electric bed, with a flat piece of plywood (thicker I think) secured to frame, to support a Queen size mattress. This allows the bed to still raise and lower with controls (important for transfers), but the head/legs can not raise. So, depending on the bed function/positions you need (or not need), this may be a more cost-saving option.

i got my queen bed from Electropedic in SoCal. i think they have a full electric model, but i went w/ just head/foot adjustable to save $ b/c the price is absurd. what i did was specify EXACTLY how high i want the top of my tempurpedic mattress to be from the floor and they built the base to my request. so while the height isn't adjustable, it's at the most comfortable height for almost any situation [although admittedly not perfect for any, either]. i'm c5/6 complete & use a hoyer but can also use a xfer board, & the height works for both. plus i've had caregivers from 5'0" to 5'11" and it's always worked for all of them.

it works all around, & saved me lots of $!

Thanks for the responses, all.
    Chick, I had also been thinking of simply throwing a queen-sized piece of plywood onto the hospital-type bed, perhaps with a piano hinge to allow the head to raise;
    I need the hi-lo feature to save my back while turning & taking care of her, and to be able to lower it for the transfer to her chair - although I almost always use a lift, my son transfers her with a board, and there is some (small) hope that she will eventually be able to transfer solo.
    She had really, really wanted this darn Tempurpedic mattress, and has never slept on it. I find it OK, but I'm not fussy. I understand that it may be difficult to turn her on it, but I suspect not much worse than the foam overlay she's on now. Something like the sleep number might be a possibility if the memory foam proves not to work.
    - Richard

I need the hi-lo feature to save my back while turning & taking care of her, and to be able to lower it for the transfer to her chair - although I almost always use a lift, my son transfers her with a board, and there is some (small) hope that she will eventually be able to transfer solo.
    Forgive me if I've missed something. I thought that your wife was a paraplegic and hadn't heard of mitigating circumstances that limit her mobility and independence.

She had really, really wanted this darn Tempurpedic mattress, and has never slept on it.
    I've met as many people that hate the darned things as I have people that just love theirs. My family is in the former group. My folks bought one for their lake house and returned it 3 days later. I'm sleeping on one for a couple of weeks just to satisfy my doctor. I'm outta this thing ASAP.

I understand that it may be difficult to turn her on it, but I suspect not much worse than the foam overlay she's on now.
    I would think they'd be about the same.

C.

If you're still looking for a fully electric bed I purchased a flex-a-bed myself back in 2003 and it works just fine. I'm a quadriplegic who needed a bed that raised and lowered electrically for transfers and dressing etc. The hand and foot also raise electrically and they even com with a massaging option. The only complaint I had/have is the controller for the head and foot has short circuited twice and needed to be replaced. But it's my understanding their newer models have better hand controls then the ones on the model I have
    I hope you find what you're looking for take care.
    chris

Richard,

One thing I particularly like about the sleep number bed is the adjustability. I like to sleep on a very soft bed, but I need the firm bed for mobility and dressing and such. So I sleep on it with a low number, and pump it up full to get dressed. I do find I only need to turn once in the night. I don;t know if you could incorporate it with a electric bed tho', as I am pretty independent.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005