Weight and see: Steve Rhodes is going on a slim-a-thon to raise money for his brother in law Scott Shaw, who is a quadriplegic.
Picture: Fiona Hamilton

Lose weight to help a mate
By JEN KELLY, medical reporter
18feb03

STEVE Rhodes never thought his considerable beer gut would come in handy - until now.

Mr Rhodes is about to put his excess weight to good use, launching a slim-a-thon to raise cash for his brother-in-law after a tragic mishap.

Scott Shaw, a 42-year-old father of two, is a quadriplegic after a backyard pool accident on Christmas Day.

Mr Rhodes, who thinks he weighs about 160kg, hopes to lose at least 30kg in four months from March 1 and raise $20,000.

"I can't actually get a set of scales that go high enough to weigh myself so I'm not sure," he said.

"Even my doctor's scales only go up to 140kg. I won't know for sure until the weigh-in."

Mr Rhodes, 45, is looking for sponsors to pledge a set amount per kg lost, or make a donation.

Mr Shaw needed to be resuscitated after diving into a relative's backyard pool on Christmas Day.

Mr Shaw's friends hope to raise enough money to fit out the family's house.

EMAIL: scottshawfund@yahoo.com

CHEQUES can be sent to Scott Shaw Fund, PO Box 491, New Norfolk, Tasmania, 7140 or phone 0417 147 499