• Christianity

41 39.05%
  • Islam

6 5.71%
  • Taoism

1 0.95%
  • Money$$$

43 40.95%
  • This is just another pointless topic ...personal attacks and being moved and/or moved.

21 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Prevalent Religion of Our Time

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    And the worship of a money deity would be a religion of money.
    I believe the "worship of money" -- particularly [by] those who are out to gain money at the expense of helping others -- is bad.

I don't believe money itself, or the "worship" thereof, is inherently evil. Money can do a lot of good for a lot of people if properly expended.
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 03-15-2008 at 08:41 PM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I don't see how. All the "...theisms" I can think of are non-rational belief systems having distinct religious characteristics. To the extent that I describe myself as atheistic I am declaring myself religious. The big difference is that, of all the religions, atheism is the most bare-bones; nothing to worship or revere. Nothing to believe but "This is it!".
    Atheism doesn't settle it for me. It doesn't give me a belief in "this is it." There's far too much unanswered to say that the cosmos became out of nothing and that spiritual beings don't exist with no doubt in the mind.

And the worship of a money deity would be a religion of money.
    Hasn't it not been foretold in the Bible that these things will occur as it states in the book of Timothy.. http://darbybible.com/2_timothy/3.htm
    Man will be lovers of self, lovers of money etc...In the past 50 years mankind has closed a blind eye on the dogma religion(s) and conjured up various pratices of their own to suit their own beliefs and shaped it into a religion that is more practical in their own eyes. Like the New Age Movement which is definitely a heterogeneous movement of indivdual; most graft some new age beliefs into their regular religious afflilation.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Well, you tell me. You've made your view on "religion" quite clear many times, just like you did in this thread. However, I believe you have also made it clear that you are a bible based Xian, which would make you a theist. So are you the enemy or the oppressed?

My point in attempting to differentiate between "religion" and "organized religion" is to indicate that a person or a group can be quite religious and adhere to similar beliefs and practices without falling into the category that you are rightfully condemning. Not all churches, temples, covens or groups of worship are dogmatic and controlling the way that many, usually larger, organizations unfortunately can be.

I consider myself to be a very religious person and it's very important to me, but I know of no person or group that shares my religious beliefs that deserves to be lumped in and condemned with the "religion[s]" you referenced in your earlier post. Maybe I'm just asking you to recognize that the generality you are using sounds rather closed minded and condescending. It sounds like you have made a determination about your own beliefs and have slammed the door on any other and I don't believe you really mean to do that. Of course, you're no where near as bad as Juke is...

C.
    I believe the Bible, among many other religious texts, are footprints pointing to a higher power. I don't believe our translations are inerrant nor do I believe they're definitive because man decided what the Bible and Orthodoxy is today. This is why I stay far from the organized sects of Christianity and simply profess a belief in a Deity that no other man can dictate to me what He thinks or says.

It's a very difficult position to hold because I'm not fooled by the stupid claims of people who want to force a literal interpretation of the Bible onto reality, yet I do believe there is a certain authenticity in believing in a Creator.

Secret option

What about the Law of Attraction?

Todd, are you a fan of gnosticism?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I am not that familiar with the definition of the "law of attraction", but from the wiki def it seems more like another thing Tom Cruise would call Scientology in a sense. I can see where it would be a very popular element in almost anything. Well, almost anything. I am reluctant to say God needs this law but I am unsure. My heart could deceive me and this is what the law basically seems to be describing. As a man thinketh in in heart, and the other biblical excepts at wiki ARE not necessarily what really is. And this law of attraction would not workb in an electrical world where opposites attract.

So man can program a little here and a little there. All things human with a conscious seems to suggest that a law of attraction is logical just because he thinks it. But there can only be one reality. So that law is going to find it's opposite, which many may call Murphy's Law. Or chace as Solomon wrote.

So does a worshiped Subject need a law of opposites/flesh and a law of attraction/spirit. It's seems like it but I would be running to the patent office without working out the bugs. And speaking of bugs, dang Juke, you got some big ones in your posts. Your rat must be getting hungry, huh.

Maybe a better post by me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_a_Man_Thinketh

Mind is the Master power that moulds and makes,
    And Man is Mind, and evermore he takes

The tool of Thought, and, shaping what he wills,
    Brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills:—
    He thinks in secret, and it comes to pass:
    Environment is but his looking-glass.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAT
    Hasn't it not been foretold in the Bible
    Please, like there's anything new about men being greedy.

Man will be lovers of self, lovers of money etc...
    Oh, now don't skip the "etc"...

without natural affection, implacable, slanderers, of unsubdued passions, savage, having no love for what is good, 4 traitors, headlong, of vain pretensions, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God; 5 having a form of piety but denying the power of it: and from these turn away. 6 For of these are they who are getting into houses, and leading captive silly women, laden with sins, led by various lusts..

Yeah, that sounds bad. Reminds of someone.

In the past 50 years mankind has closed a blind eye on the dogma religion(s) and conjured up various pratices of their own to suit their own beliefs and shaped it into a religion that is more practical in their own eyes. Like the New Age Movement which is definitely a heterogeneous movement of indivdual; most graft some new age beliefs into their regular religious afflilation.
    Xianity is the new kid in town. Pagan religions from all over the world, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, even Confucius goes back hundreds to thousands of years before anybody heard of a boy named Yeshua ben David. Sure, Wicca is about 50 yrs old, but it's based on deities, rituals and beliefs that are far, far older. But so what? How dare anyone question what the gods choose to reveal, to whom and when. I find it curious indeed this idea that a god might speak to his followers only for a short period of time and then close off communication thereafter. For a god who claims to be omniscient and omnipotent, it sounds rather limited to me.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    thousands of years before anybody heard of a boy named Yeshua ben David.
    C.
    When he was a boy, he would have been known paternally as Yeshua ben Yosef and maternally as Yeshua ben Miriam. It was not until He started his ministry that He was referred to as a son of David.