Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust in the Wind

Dust in the Wind

In the weeks to come, my house affected by Katrina will be demolished by the government. This has already occurred to homes and buildings where I've spent many of my childhood moments. It's such an odd feeling to go to my old town, which I don't do often. Much has been demolished, much has yet to be, and much has already been torn down and rebuilt. In a strange way, Katrina has given me a sense of emotional healing because it forced me to let go of the remnants of my childhood and my life prior to my injury. Several years ago, I had such a painful emotional battle with nostalgia. I've since learned to live and be more in the present rather than the past, and thus the pain is not as overwhelming as it once was.

Just some of my thoughts. Feel free to post your own.

Although my experience isn't the same, I too have difficulty going back to the city my sci was in while at college. I've been asked to visit and actually have family friends that live there, but I cant bring myself to do it, go back and see all the familiar buildings and roads that I once traveled so carefree. I left there with a lot of unfinished business between me and other peers, I want to forget that chapter in my life and pretend the people and places never happened. Right before the accident I was in a huge battle against a frat house, total highschool drama...small school in a small town in the midwest, everyone was in your business, quick to judge and discriminate...it disgusted me so I transferred to a larger school back by my home to start over yet again, actually was suppsed to drive home to sign a lease on an apt but the weather got nasty so I stayed in town...funny how events prior to the accident seem like they all fell into place purposely to create my sci. Eh, who knows if it's fate or chance anymore. All I know is forgetting is much easier than facing the truth.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Katrina was a tragedy, but I must admit, there was something beautiful about the way you wrote your post.

Here's to new beginnings.

i held on to the house my dad literally built (he was a carpenter) and the only home i had known with my family way past the loss of my parents and brother. the house is in iowa, i live in washington. obviously, it wasn't the tangible house i was holding onto, but my memories. it was paid off and i rented it. i comforted myself with knowing i still had "home."

but finally, i realized i didn't. without my family, it wasn't home. it took me many years to let go. i am glad i did, but still sad. my dad put his heart, soul and sweat into that house. but i knew i would never live in iowa again.

so i let go. it was hard.

p.s. and i thought this post was going to be about Kansas songs...all we are is dust in the wind...carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done...and all that.
    Last edited by cass; 03-09-2008 at 05:45 AM.

I echo what Kiran said, beautifully written.

It's funny how we are ... I couldn't wait to leave my childhood home and everytime I travel, it's off a major highway and I see how delapitated it looks and I have no desire to go back.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

lynnifer, what are you doin up? i am up cause went to a concert and can never go to bed after that for a while. matchbox twenty with alanis morisette.

Todd,

I was struck by the poignant irony of your post right above your present signature....Madonna's This Used to Be My Playground. It recalls similar memories of course, sports instead of home, but the sentiment is pretty much the same.....just like old times. I played basketball in high school, and was a real gym rat in college, and yep, there's not a day I don't think about it once or twice and smile a bit

I don't have any attachment to my present abode, and have actually moved quite a lot of times over the years, so I tend to fondly recall towns I lived or grew up in rather than any one house, save the farm I grew up in. Its still there, just down the road of course, but I haven't seen it or been there since about 2002 when I took a bike trip and visited. And that too had been after some several years away. What I discovered was like that old Don Henley song about the 'End of the Innocence' - the more things change, the more we remember 'somewhere back there lies that same small town in each of us'

Likewise, same goes for college down in Arkansas - haven't looked back, lest I find myself drawn like a moth to its flaming end, better to avert sentimental thouoghts and move on.

Tom

...the mighty phoenix rises from the ashes.
    Attachment 20946
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

"All that is subject to arising, is subject to ceasing." We can't hold on to anything, or settle anywhere, for long. Heroic that we try, though.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    i held on to the house my dad literally built (he was a carpenter) and the only home i had known with my family way past the loss of my parents and brother. the house is in iowa, i live in washington. obviously, it wasn't the tangible house i was holding onto, but my memories. it was paid off and i rented it. i comforted myself with knowing i still had "home."
    My aunt had a difficult time with this as well. She lived in the house my mother's father built and then Katrina came and made an already unstable house even worse, it was destined to be demolished and was. It wasn't built on a slab and the ground down here is below sea-level, thus over time the house became unstable.