Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease

Quote Originally Posted by dizzal View Post
    I am not sure if i missed it or not but how did the MRI turn out.

looks like a pretty safe spine. Don't let them get you too worked up. Some radiologists get more excited about minor findings than others. They cannot be sure those findings have any relationship to your pain. Be safe, but don't worry too much about it.

Have your doc walk through the MRI with you and explain each of the findings.

i've got two dics compltetly gone and pushing against my spinal cord, notice that there is not space between the cord in spine in my mid back. emgs have found mutiple raidopaties. and a catscan mylogram has back it up

there reports says i have to hernated dics, it is very simple. i showed it to my pain dr and he was like wow, i am happy that you brought this in to me (hes be giving me pain meds based off reports for 18 months) and he finaly got to see it for himself. and said it looked very painful and was happy i brought it in. i am seeing my neurologist next month to see what he thinks and this is a newer mri

Have a spine surgeon discuss it with you - not the pain doc. Looks like there is plenty of spinal fluid behind the cord.

??

I just turned 26 last month, and and currently recovering from MAJOR back surgery due to DDD. I don't know what caused it for certain, but I do have a chronic history of bulimia nervosa. My back has hurt for as long as I can remember, and I thought it was partially due to carrying my kids as I have four little ones. I got an MRI ordered in November and by December, I was scheduled for my surgery....removal of two herniated discs, something with bone graft, and stabilization of my entire lumbar spine. I went to Sacred Heart in Pensacola Fl for my surgery and everything has gone fine so far, but I wouldn't recommend surgery until the doctors know for sure what is wrong with your whole spine.

i was diagnosed with DDD at 15 years old and i am now 19. i have been put on different pain medications, been to the physio therapist countless times and they all have said they cant do anything for me. i was wondering what i should do next. I have lost about thirty pounds and have done plenty of core excersices but nothing is working. i was thinking of going to a chiropractor but i wasnt sure if they would even consider touching let alone cracking my back. I need answers any help?

I also was just diagnosed with DDD.

Im 23 I have had some slight back and neck pain for as long as I can remmber. I was hit by a car at 30mph about 2months ago. After seeking medical treatment for constant back and nek pain that I have been expieriencing since. I was told by my Dr. today tht my MRI showed that I have DDD. It is mostly in my mid and upper back up through my neck. I have an 8mont old son and I am vey scared as to what this diagnosis has in store for me and my family. I was told that Chyropractic treatment would be a option and also psyica theripy along with diet and exersize would help. I have always been a healthy person and have maintained a healthy weight I am still loosing the weight from pregnancy I only need to loose 15-20lbs and Im hoping that that will help. Like I said I am very young Im a new Mom and Im scared my husband says it wont matte to him in 2years but I am the one who takes are of everybody and Im nurvous that nobody will be there for me because I am well aware of what this means for me when I am older. I have read that the pain goes away once your bones are completely compressed. However dosen't that mea that you just don't have any feeling left but your still fractured and bascially immobile. What does this mean for my Son or if I want another baby in the future? Any imput from thoe of you that have been expierencing this would be great!

continued

Sorry about the mis-spelled words. I have fake nails had a wedding to attend and can't type properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Reen102311 View Post
    Im 23 I have had some slight back and neck pain for as long as I can remmber. I was hit by a car at 30mph about 2months ago. After seeking medical treatment for constant back and nek pain that I have been expieriencing since. I was told by my Dr. today tht my MRI showed that I have DDD. It is mostly in my mid and upper back up through my neck. I have an 8mont old son and I am vey scared as to what this diagnosis has in store for me and my family. I was told that Chyropractic treatment would be a option and also psyica theripy along with diet and exersize would help. I have always been a healthy person and have maintained a healthy weight I am still loosing the weight from pregnancy I only need to loose 15-20lbs and Im hoping that that will help. Like I said I am very young Im a new Mom and Im scared my husband says it wont matte to him in 2years but I am the one who takes are of everybody and Im nurvous that nobody will be there for me because I am well aware of what this means for me when I am older. I have read that the pain goes away once your bones are completely compressed. However dosen't that mea that you just don't have any feeling left but your still fractured and bascially immobile. What does this mean for my Son or if I want another baby in the future? Any imput from thoe of you that have been expierencing this would be great!
    Reen,

As you know, you are young to be having degnerative disc disease (DDD). It does not mean that your spinal cord is falling apart and that you will become paralyzed. However, it does mean that you have to take extra care of your back and reduce the amount of stress on it.

The first two steps are common sense. You are already doing the first step and that is to lose weight. The less heavy you are, the less stress your spine has to endure. The second step is to adopt back-protective behaviors. What do I mean? I mean that you need to have a good posture, never bend to pick up your baby or anything heavy, always lift with your back straight up and use your legs to provide the lift power, and make sure that you have chairs and beds that provide your back with ample support.

The third step is to eat a lot of protein and take supplemental chondroitin and glucosamine. These are essential ingredients for connective tissues, that discs are made of. Chondroitin and glucosamine are widely available in pharmacies and can be bought across the counter without prescription. Just buy some of the liquid formulation (they are cheaper and better) rather than the pills. You should see your nails growing out stronger if you are taking chondroitin and glucosamine regularly. Your discs should be stronger as well.

The fourth step is to start doing exercises that do not put stress on your bones and joints. The best such exercise is swimming. If you swim an hour a day, this will help you with your weight loss, build your abdomenal and back muscles to support your back, and also improve your general health.

Wise.